Mahogany entry door
Ok here is the question: Old Mahogany front entrance door needs to be re- done. What do I use to clean it? spotty patina look . What finish would be good for UV protectant? I was told dish soap and 0000 steel wool, then use poly gloss .
US Army retired.

"Even if one person gains from your knowledge, you have shaped a path for the future"
kleen strip premium chemical stripper to get the old finish off.
the use a oil based deep tint exterior pain without any tint added. it will dry clear and give better protection then any other finish. http://askhlm.com/Articles/ArticleViewPa...inish.aspx
+1 for c lean strip!
A outdoor paint base like SW A100 without any tint works well. GF 450 works better but costs more. Don't screw with BORG poly or "spar varnish" . Yes a good spar varnish like Epifanes will work but it costs more and is a pain to apply. BTW it doesn't work as well or any better depending.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
OK....3rd post recommending tintless paint. Did this 7 years ago on south facing unprotected Mahogany door. Still looks great. Don't waste time or money on varnish.
By the way, follow Jim Kull's instructions to apply in thin coats....
Can someone suggest which untinted exterior paint exactly to use for this purpose.

I have seen Sherwin Williams A100 listed as a good choice for this but when I went to SW today they only had it in solid white, waiting for a tint to be added.
A carpenter's house is never done.
photobug said:

when I went to SW today they only had it in solid white, waiting for a tint to be added.

Did you put a dab on a piece of paper or stirring stick and let it dry?
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I've used A-100 and can guarantee that it dries completely clear. I bought the deep base (the base for black paint). Looks white in the can but dries clear. do not believe the sales person - they only know what they have been told.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!