replacing dropped ceiling in basement, lights related question
I am thinking about replacing the dropped ceiling in my side of the basement with drywall. Right now, I have 3x24" wide fluorescent troffers, but the joists are spaced 16". I was looking at the big box stores, and they don't have anything in a 16" wide troffer. So I would have to go surface mount, which is less than desirable. I guess I could go with individual lights, but it seems like a lot of work to get the same amount of light. Was thinking maybe about the surface mount LED can light simulations.

Part of this area is my hand tool shop, the other part is just an exercise/tv room. I would like decent light in the hand tool shop.
I'd take a good look at LED strip lights. They are becoming affordable and can put lots of light across an area.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
https://www.zoro.com/acuity-lithonia-rec...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

Twinn
Will post for food.
When I search for that, i get links to LED tape strips. Is that what you mean?

it should be possible to make a really flat light that rivals a flourescent fixture using LEDs. The Cree brand troffers are shockingly expensive right now.
why not 12 inch troffers
These led tube lights can be surface mounted to the ceiling. They often go on sale for $10 or $20 less. Their main drawback is that they are wired with an outlet plug instead of a direct wiring option.
fixtureman said:

why not 12 inch troffers

I would go for them, but I don't see them anywhere locally either
Check electrical supply houses or ceiling companies