Can someone recommend a quality electric string trimmer (weedwacker)?
I don't want to mess around with gas, nor do i feel like waiting for batteries to charge-- i like being able to pull out an orange ext cord and ready to go. Property isn't that big, and i have plenty of outlets, front and back.
I had a Black and decker-- easily 20+ years old that my father bought. Finally died-- so i got another b&d 2-3 years ago, figuring they lasted. I hate this thing--this auto feed function SUCKS. i have to put more line on every time i use the unit...literally, every time. I tried using the 3rd party bulk amount, also tried the prewound b&d version (which lasted a couple times mowing), but still-- the old bump method just worked-- i would change the string MAYBE once a season.
Everything i see online is auto feed-- is b&d's version of this lousy, or do they all do this?

Colin
For the past 3 years I've been using a Ryobi One+ string trimmer. Haven't had any issues with the string feed, just replace the reel when needed. I've got a Ryobi One+ drill and driver so the battery works between the units. Not having to drag a power cord is real nice.

In our 1/4 acre city lot all I need is something to trim the grass in spaces where the mower cant get into. But its not powerful enough to clear out tall/mature weeds.

Normally Id go with a 2 stroke fire breathing monster weedwacker, but the Ryobi fits our need and my wife isnt scared of it.

Steve
people seem happy with the cordless trimmers. My assumption is the market for a quality corded trimmer is pretty small. Don't some of the battery systems have a way of hooking up a cord? Seems like I saw that with the cordless oscillating multi-tools.
I hate dragging cords around too. I got an EGo 56 volt cordless from Home Depot and couldn't be happier. Super powerful and takes 30 minutes to charge. Charge after each use and it's always ready to go. They have lawnmowers and a variety of other garden tools.
I had a B&D that wasn't worth a hoot.
I went with a Stihl gas model instead.
While I can't recommend a trimmer because I gave up on electric trimmers awhile ago. However when I was shopping for trimmers I never found one that had a good rating on any of the self feeding heads. The old bump heads like I remember seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

I purchased this head and couldn't be happier, I don't buy the precuts, I buy bulk rolls and just make my own. The precuts are actually a bit shorter than my trimmers capacity and more expensive so I just buy .095 rolls and it fits fine. I can run it straight up against chainlink and it does just fine. The only downside is it has to be spinning fast, if you run it too slow, it actually doesn't cut. The description says it fits gas trimmers but I recall having it on my Toro electric for a season.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxpower-1101PT-P...ds=trimmer+head
Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope. Maya Angelou
Sthil FSE60, the gold standard in electric string trimmers.
Well, Bye...
I can definitely vouch for the 56v Echo trimmer. Very powerful, string feeds with no issue, charges quickly, etc. The only real downsides that I've encountered are the price and weight.
I have the B&D cordless 20v unit, about 4 years now, came with 2 batteries. One battery more than does the <1/4 lot that I have. I use it every other month, and a spool lasts better than half the season.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
i've got the 40V B&D, and i would definitely recommend it.