Z-shaped coffee table - Ideas for support?
I have live edge board approximately 4' x 1.75' I got a while back and am thinking of making into a coffee table. I'm not 100% certain yet but it's where I'm leaning. I kind of like the look of the z-base. If I go that route what type of joinery would you suggest to provide enough stability. I'm thinking the weight of the slab + things to be placed on top will be around 25-30 lbs.

My initial thought was to make the z shape go from left to right instead of front to back. Also I thought the slab would be the top horizontal part of the Z so it will be cantilevered. But perhaps the joints would not be strong enough? Another thought was to make the z-base totally separate and then add vertical pieces and make it like the top is floating.

Any suggestions are welcome. Even if you think I should scrap the whole z-base shape all together and go with something else. Thanks
I've seen many Z-shaped coffee tables made from a single slab. FWW has one every once in awhile. I've seen them joined with big finger joints. I've also seen them joined as mitered joints. FWW's last issue (June?) had an interesting article about using right angled splines for just such joints.

You could even use a M&T joint integral with the miter. I lot more challenging to make, but very cool if you expose the end of the tenon.

John
In the past I made something similar- but much smaller/lighter than you are contemplating: Side Tables
I used a pinned angled saddle joint - seems to have held up quite well.
Why do people alway leave out the 3rd dimension of a slab?
Or any wood.
Width, length, thickness.... Species.
It all matters.
John nailed it. I'd go with finger joints. But, the wood for the Z needs to be at least equal to the thickness of the slab.
Me
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that