Variable speed drill press
My old drill press died and I'd really like to get a Powermatic variable speed but they are quiet expensive. While they get excellent reviews they also get some terrible ones.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a less expensive alternative.
Thanks
Used. You will find used pm 1150's as well as Delta Rockwell 15" presses for probably around 4-500 in good shape. You may have to travel a bit and it may take some time, but they are around if you are close to a larger city.

An alternative to a press with the Reeves drive is one with a 3 phase motor and a VFD. The VFD will give you the speed control, even if it uses a stepped pulley. You would be able to vary speed to a certain extent for each speed range the machine has.
EvilTwin said:

An alternative to a press with the Reeves drive is one with a 3 phase motor and a VFD. The VFD will give you the speed control, even if it uses a stepped pulley. You would be able to vary speed to a certain extent for each speed range the machine has.

This.

I did it last year on an old Craftsman 150 DP and it's the bomb.

I used Teco vector drive vfd with a 3/4 HP motor and the low speed torque is very good.

I chucked up my largest Forstner bit in it, set it at the lowest speed and it cut without hesitation.

Highly recommended.
chris
I found this attached to an old Walker-Turner drillpress. I guess it operates like a Reeves Drive. The pulley is spring loaded. Loosening the locking knob shifts the intermediate pulley back and forth.

I haven't looked hard but I haven't been able to find out any more info on the web.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.