Compound Miter Saws
If you had to buy one today, which would it be? And WHY?

A friend is asking me, and I haven't been in the market for one in several years...

Thanks for the help!

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
None. I only use mine for long pieces like decking and molding....every 9 or 10 years. Precision crosscuts are best done with a good TS IMO.
It's not for me - I've already got a couple - but a friend is asking. It will be for general homeowner use....
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
I like my Bosch slider. Right now it's not a "precision" tool but a little tinkering will make it what I need.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Once I got my 12" DeWalt dialed in it has been bullet-proof. I'd buy it again.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
I'd buy one of two: the Bosch GCM12SD¹ or the Milwaukee 6955-20 12-Inch Sliding Dual Bevel Miter Saw with Digital Miter Angle Fine Adjust . The digital fine adjust is very precise and repeatable—the best in the industry. The problem with the Milwaukee is that I'd be really hard put to find space for it. It's very precise but the Busch is much smaller foot print.
They are not a general purpose home owner tool. They are great for precise cuts in molding and trim but not that useful otherwise—one reason I don't own one—I borrow or rent when I need it.

¹ The 10" version is more precise.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I have a 10" Dewalt and it is as accurate as one can be. I use it for most cuttings that doesn't require the table saw.
Dave it would depend on what use he had in mind. If it will be a steady mix of woodwork, framing/building, and other work where a close cut is needed I would get a Bosch. Lately I have seen deals on the 12" making it around the same price as the 10.

If he wants real accuracy, I'd tell him to get a miter box with a Japanese blade. A Nobex champion is very nice, but the Ulmia 352, and 354 are the cats meow. Expect to pay 600 to 800 bux, or have an old Grandpa who had fine tools from a few years ago.

If he just wants to whack the ends off of 2 x 4's he can save $$$$$ and get by fine with one of these. I was at a barn build a few weeks ago, and was surprised actually it was a decent cut, dual bevel, 12" had pretty good capacities. The thing about the HF saw is he can torture test it for 29 days. Just tell him to hang onto that receipt, and don't show up on day 31
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Dewalt with the LED over blade light/cut line shadow option. Reason - its always accurate where the cut will be - no adjustments.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

BTDT - I've had a Dewalt 705 (single bevel) for about 15 years now and it has served me well. More for home improvement to my own homes rather than shop use. Were I in the market for a CMS today it would be the dual version of this same brand. Gives you bevels on both sides; my 705 only tilts one way, which can occasionally be an inconvenience.

If I were in the market for a SCMS the ONLY one I would buy again is this Milwaukee. I bought mine about five years ago when they first came out. Did quite a bit of research before deciding on it. It is a wonderful saw in every way! The bevel lock and release is absolutely the best on the market. It is so easy to set, locks in place firmly and is easy to change. The D-handle and trigger are in the in the correct and comfortable orientation for me, rather than some of the others that have the pistol grip style. Built-in work light is very handy also.

The Dewalt also has this same style of D-handle and trigger grip. I bought the Milwaukee primarily to cut "tons" of wooden siding for a remodel/ addition to my current home. It has been a stellar performer and has never let me down. Put it on a Ridgid stand and used it outdoors quite a bit, with roller stands as outriggers for the very long pieces. Used it for many other projects since then. In a shop environment it can also double as a crosscut saw for breaking down material.

My recommendation also is that the buyer spring for the larger 12" blade model of either saw. "Bigger is better" applies to these saws also. It's pretty frustrating to need the extra capacity and not have it - only costs a little more.

HTH,

Doug