Compound Miter Saws
knotscott said:

None. I only use mine for long pieces like decking and molding....every 9 or 10 years. Precision crosscuts are best done with a good TS IMO.

+1
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Steve N said:

the Ulmia 352, and 354 are the cats meow. Expect to pay 600 to 800 bux, or have an old Grandpa who had fine tools from a few years ago.

I've not seen the Ulmia boxes before, but it seems they have impulse hardened teeth in the "replaceable" blades, which is a turnoff for me as you can't sharpen them. Vintage Stanley or MF is a better bet here in the states; in Europe its likely the Ulmia are the only game in town.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I've been looking for a really good mitre box for parsons joints (compound miters). I have a Nobex my brother gave me (he won it as a door prize), it's kind of OK but not really great, not precise enough. I'd jump on the Ulmia 352 Miter Box for $655 but there is a $107 shipping charge. The blades are a whole $24 and not worth resharpening IMHO. The only power saw close is the Millwaukee and it still taskes hand plane clean up or fails.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
I am very fond of my Dewalt 12" non sliding saw (I don't recall the model #). It surprises me that more of you guys don't speak out in favor of them. I agree that the primary use is for dimensioning lumber, but every project requires dimensioning lumber and I find it much more convenient than a cross cut on a table saw -assuming of course that the miter saw will accommodate the stock. With a good blade and a zero clearance insert I have no problem cutting to exact length and for stock more than a couple of feet long, to me it's just more efficient. My saw will also cut true 45*s quickly easily and with repeatable results. For my work, in my shop, its a go-to tool.
I also have the Dewalt 12" non slider. It works great for what I do. I have it paired with a Sawhelper Ultrafence.

As far as what someone else should get, as was said, it depends on what they want to do with it.
I've have 2 DW non sliders that have bounced around in my trailer all over the country and they still are very accurate. They got used 4 to 5 hours every day since 1990cutting aluminum and poplar trim for Revco and CVS pharmacies
Personally I have a Dewalt 12" slider that has served me well. If space wasn't an issue that is what I would buy again. If space was an issue I would buy the new Bosch or possibly the new Hitachi. There is also a gem I stumbled on by accident. I needed a small light weight saw for doing flooring and trim work in my house. Lugging my Dewalt around wasn't a good option and going back and forth from my house to shop wasn't practical. I ended up getting one of the 7 1/4" SCMS that Craftsman makes. I think I paid $89 for it on sale and I absolutely love that little saw. It doesn't have the height capacity of a 12" saw but it will crosscut about 9" and is dead on accurate and very light. You can also get blades dirt cheap.

Here is the one I have
believe it or not, the new DeWalt 20v cordless sliding compound saw is fantastic. I've been using it for about 6 months and I don't even touch the big 12" saw anymore. the 5 ah batteries last for a few hundred cuts, easy. The smaller blade has less drift than the big saw, and it's so much lighter and easier to lug around the job site. It's actually light enough you can hang it on the wall for storage. Cant' say enough good things about it.
stav said:

I also have the Dewalt 12" non slider. It works great for what I do. I have it paired with a Sawhelper Ultrafence.

Name dropper. Anyone tried Fastcap's system? Seems like the closest thing still on the market.

For a saw, the Dewalt is okay, but their LED system is awesome.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
If the blades go dull, you pitch them for less than a sharpening of a back saw then you are back with a brand new blade. Expect to get at least what you would on a sharpening of a back saw in terms of use. The frames are way superior to any of the meat powered miter boxes Stanley et al ever made, and they can hold accuracy much better as well. Europe has the same types of choices we do here. Actually their powered miter saws are way better than ours, and they buy tools as an investment so costs that scare off US buyers are just a speed bump to a Euro spending guy.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW