Redwood/Cedar Chair finish with Cetol?
I am finishing up an Adirondack chair made of Redwood and Cedar. I was thinking of finishing it with a form of Cetol. I am looking for something easy to apply that is rugged with minimum long term refinishing needs. Based on research in boating forums, I have chosen Cetol.

I know there is a lot of Cetol options, but I know of only the marine versions. Would this work or should I search for a different type of Cetol? Any other suggestions other than Cetol would be considered.
A carpenter's house is never done.
Cetol gets good reviews when used on Teak. So so reviews otherwise. It is usually used as a undercoat stain/glaze. It may be well worth trying but I've have had excellent results with GF 450 on several different woods including the more porous ceder. It's waterborne so water cleanup, self leveling and very easy. When I was boating everyone used Epifanes (a right pain to apply). Wish I had some experience with Cetol.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
read the mahogany door finish thread. Deep tint exterior oil base paint without adding any tint. Drys clear protects like paint which it is, just carries no snob appeal with the boating crowd,
JR1 said:

GF 450 on several different woods including the more porous ceder. It's waterborne so water cleanup, self leveling and very easy. When I was boating everyone used Epifanes (a right pain to apply). Wish I had some experience with Cetol.

Thanks JR, My woodworking days are limited recently because I am spending time rebuilding two sailboats and hanging out on sailing forums.

I am avoiding all forms of marine varnish because the 6 coat minimum is beyond my patience level. I have enough trouble getting 3 coats on. I also looked at GF products as their other products have been my go to choice for my other indoor projects.

I found a high end Adirondack builder that uses Cetol 1 #77 for cedar. They describe 3 coats then a touch up on any gouges once a year. If I could find it locally I would give it a shot but I can't even find it online or find it for sure online. GF it may have to be. Is the GF 450 as easy to apply as the Enduro?
A carpenter's house is never done.
Yes it is but it is a little easier on temperature requirements for cure. Three to 4 coats does it, more for porous wood. It will degrade over time in direct sun light so will need maintenance.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Restorer said:

read the mahogany door finish thread. Deep tint exterior oil base paint without adding any tint. Drys clear protects like paint which it is, just carries no snob appeal with the boating crowd,

+1

After listening to folks about SW A100, I bought a gallon (wish quarts were available). The clerk was adamant that it wouldn't dry clear - that someone was pulling my leg. I stuck to my guns and bought it.

Fast-forward 3 days. I used it on a friend's park bench that we replaced all the slats. Wow! It came out perfectly. And with an outdoor paint with a 15-year warranty (that SW won't support because they didn't add tint by the way). I highly recommend this.

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
I have used Cetol SRD several times. (Semitransparent)
It is very good stuff that lasts a long time with easy peasy redcoats or repair.
If your after long term protection there is no way around the fact that the more solids in exterior stain the better it lasts. But you have to be willing to give up seeing as much of the natural wood grain.
My 2 cents
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks