Oak Curved door Cabinet
Bit of a different project - combination of new construction, repair, reconfiguration and restoration with this one. I know for some, tearing apart something and changing it is a bit blasphemous but this was what the customer wanted.

An old Clemco desk top section which was in pretty bad shape was to be reconfigured into something a bit more useful. The tambour door was long gone. There was quite a bit of damage to both the finish and the wood itself. Lots of veneer damage, stains deep into the wood grain and general old age wear. It looked like the finish in different areas had been worked on several times. Everythng was stipped and taken apart.

So this

Became this:

There are still a few dings and dents and character that show it isn't brand new and some of the stain damage was just too deep to get out. But, I'm pretty happy with getting the color between old and new pretty close. Lots of transtint and GF dye stain to get things even. Topped with GF High Performance.

Thanks for looking.
That is an amazing transformation. It's hard to see how the new came from the old. Stunning reuse, to be sure.

I shouldn't criticize, but I just can't help myself; the red oak back inside just doesn't go with it. Every time I look at it my eye goes to it and it ain't pretty. Why not replace it with rift sawn WO ply or ship lapped white oak boards?

John
Yeah, the plain sawn back does stand out, but with the cabinet sitting on the floor, you really don't see it as you look in.
I have a light shining in for the picture so the figure does leap out though.

Everything else is QS red oak.
Excellent work -- both with the wood and the camera!!!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Awesome

Incredible vision to see version #2 out of #1, and a great job of making it so. I agree with John that ply on the back is LOUD, but even so that is a fine piece of work.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Well done sir!
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Superb transformation.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.