Cool Tenoning jig
Pretty unique tenoning jig. He incorporates a bridge city kerf maker type mechanism to dial in the adjustments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVdlLKSyXP4
'Gonna hav ta' watch that again. Pretty slick jig.

Thanks for the post.
I think anytime someone makes their own tools it's pretty

That said I'm not real sure for the trouble to make it this is much more than one of these.

The biggest difference is putting the tenon into the right side to figure your needed distance to make the cut. I've never seen that as a nightmare, much less difficult, surely nothing like setting up a lock miter without a set up block.

The biggest thing for me was the X Y for a TS? I think he did this because many before him did a tenon jig based on a router I think John's is as advanced as any I have seen, and on this using the X Y along with the routers ability to move the bit in and out gives the best of all worlds. Along with millions of other guys Narm got me hooked on the metal version on the TS. I just think if a horizontal router was shop ready when Narm was in his heyday, we would have seen a lot more of it, than the TS version.

Maybe with stacked clamps the guy in that video had better luck holding the vertically challenged piece of stock still. I know for certain doing that with those metal contraptions was always the biggest part of the chore. Clamped as hard as you could, occassionally a piece of stock moved while getting cut.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Looks too fiddly, don't like the clamps.

I like the jigs that employ the fence.
Those clamps are cool... At first I thought they weren't much different than the other fence clamps available, but the dovetail profile not only means they can slide to the interior of the jig, but they also don't flop around when loose! Even if you don't make a tenoning jog, there's good ideas in there.
Benny

What, if any, is the advantage to cutting tenons vertically (using a jig like shown above) as opposed to cutting them horizontally using a dado blade on a table saw? Is cutting them vertically more accurate, easier to set up, smoother finish? What say you?
dg152 said:

What, if any, is the advantage to cutting tenons vertically (using a jig like shown above) as opposed to cutting them horizontally using a dado blade on a table saw? Is cutting them vertically more accurate, easier to set up, smoother finish? What say you?

The face of the cut is smoother when cut vertically.

It is and isn't easier to set up. One cut on the vertical, many cuts on the horizontal.

Kinda "tippy" on the vertical. Not so on the horizontal.
Semper fi,
Brad

That is pretty cool.