Ground Hog Under the House
I tore away some porch stairs to replace them, and noticed what appears to be a large groundhog hole under the porch leading down under the foundation.

I don't know if anything is using it. I guess I can cover the holes up with some rocks. But is there anything else i should do to keep the rodent from returning?

Place a cantolope near the opening.If the groundhog lives under your house the cantolope will be eaten. You can trap him,better yet shoot him.
mike
Piece of melon, green beans, in a live trap.
Then, shoot the bastid.

Only way to get rid of them.

Set the trap again. You will catch several this time of year.
I've been catching & killing them for over 25 years now.
Destructive bastids.
I have had good luck using Giant destroyer smoke bombs kills them and keeps them from using their holes
Smoke bombs will bring them out of the hole and then shoot the critter.
Those smoke bombs do work very well. Every ground hog hole I've ever seen has 2 entrances....might want to check around and see if there's another one somewhere.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Why not see if the hole is used first. You haven't mentioned seeing an animal yet. Stick a plastic grocery bag in it and see if it's pushed out of the way signaling something is moving in and out of the hole.

You're in my, and without a license, it's illegal to relocate nuisance wildlife. You can always give swimming lessons. But before worrying about that, see if the hole is being used.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

thanks everyone. I'm hesitant to throw a smoke bomb into a hole under the house -- but a .22 and some veggies are good ideas.

Duke / conibear / body gripper trap. Set one over each hole you find... they always have more than one. The trap will get them coming or going.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I would use a 30.06 just to be sure.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.