Weed whackin in the summertime.
So in the spring and fall, I like to toss on a pair of Carhartts when I do my yard work and not worry too much about kneeling down or debris from the trimmer. But summer arrived overnight last week, and it's too much to be outside in them for long. I could do the mowing in shorts, then change pants, but that's annoying too. I personally don't handle heat well (health reasons, long story), so I'm wondering what some of you guys do.

The guy at my job who cuts the lawn wraps one leg in bubble wrap when he trims! Seems excessive, but he's not covered in grass at the end either. The guy in the WORX trimmer adds I see wears high rubber boots... I like the idea of something I can pop on and off easily. Not sure my neighbors want to see me in chaps and not much else... Anyone else have any ideas?
Benny

I'm a Canadian in Alabama so needless to say I find the heat and humidity tough to deal with. I just tough it out and do it in shorts. I get the occasional cuts and bruises from flying debris but I figure it's a worthwhile trade off vs heat stroke...which I actually got my first summer down here!
-Marc

I wear shorts and wash my legs off with a hose when I'm done.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

The mess was not the problem for me... its the bits of debris that end up under the skin and all the cuts from flying ejections.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I hear ya... We have plenty of heat in the summers in VT, and I'm not that much further south, but it still feels different sometimes. My own legs might be easier to clean off than my pants lol. I am worried about crap from the chain link fence or whatever being tossed at me too...
Benny

Around my yard I don't have an issue just trimming grass. If I'm getting mid evil on some weeds and woody debris out in the woods I wear pants that provide some protection... but mainly I wear them to lessen the exposure to poison ivy.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I like the Duluth Trading stout trousers when in the rough patch and just plain jeans when I am in the grass. Tee shirt and dress oxford long sleeve. My allergies require lots of cover. Here in North Florida, I don't spend lots of time fooling around out there. Early morning or early evening. When the weeds grow too tall, I get assistance from Mr Roundup.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
PJ bottoms.
Have a pair of washed out, worn out light sweat pants. The legs are cut off just above the cuff---losing the elastic cuffs.
I wear similar sweat pants. I've had one occurrence, years back, where the trimmer bounced, and I caught the string across my shin. The memory of that pain is enough for me to rule out shorts.

I find that heat fatigue and sweat in the eyes is what works you over the most. I go with the leg protection, but add a cooling collar and cooling cap (ice-water soaked rag, basically). That keeps me cool enough while I handle the trimmer. I hose off and change to cooler attire before I run the tractor or blower.
Shame on the men who can court exemption from present trouble and expense at the price of their own posterity's liberty! - Samuel Adams