Craftsman 19.2V cordless set
So, I've had a Craftsman 19.2V Ni-Cad cordless set for about 10 years. Circ saw, recip, drill, router. Been great, well used. Well, now the batteries are dying (I've replace 2 already over the years) and won't hold a charge more than a day or so after full charging.

I kinda don't want to keep buying batteries as each time, the life on them has gotten shorter. I'm looking at 2 options, but wanted some advice on either first.

1) will the newer C3 Li-ion batteries fit the tools? this may be the cheaper option, and allow me to keep the same tools. Seems less wasteful.

2) Toss these and start over with another brand? If so, which brand would be the best? I like that the Ryobi kits have dozens of additional tools that use the same batteries. I've heard good things about them too.

Of course, I use the drill the most, so maybe I'm better off getting a good drill/driver combo and maybe going with the Ryobi for the other tools? I've been happy with the Craftsman kit until the batteries started taking a dump.

What say you all here?

Thanks,
Kevin
Kmucha16 said:

So, I've had a Craftsman 19.2V Ni-Cad cordless set for about 10 years. Circ saw, recip, drill, router. Been great, well used. Well, now the batteries are dying (I've replace 2 already over the years) and won't hold a charge more than a day or so after full charging.

I kinda don't want to keep buying batteries as each time, the life on them has gotten shorter. I'm looking at 2 options, but wanted some advice on either first.

1) will the newer C3 Li-ion batteries fit the tools? this may be the cheaper option, and allow me to keep the same tools. Seems less wasteful.

2) Toss these and start over with another brand? If so, which brand would be the best? I like that the Ryobi kits have dozens of additional tools that use the same batteries. I've heard good things about them too.

Of course, I use the drill the most, so maybe I'm better off getting a good drill/driver combo and maybe going with the Ryobi for the other tools? I've been happy with the Craftsman kit until the batteries started taking a dump.

What say you all here?

Thanks,
Kevin

If your 19.2V tools are of the C3 line, then I can recommend getting the larger capacity LiOn C3 batteries. I love them and missed that they were not on sale this past black friday (only the smaller capacity batteries were, I believe). If they are not of the C3 line, I can't guarantee the C3 batteries would fit, you may take a chance on getting one and trying it and if it doesn't, return it. One thing, you need a new charger for the LiOn batteries, so you'd have to factor that cost in, as well. The Nicad charger is unsafe to use with the new LiOn batteries. However, these batteries are great with the higher drain tools, especially the circular and recip saws.

The C3 Craftsman tools and the Ryobi One series are essentially the same tools, but the batteries are not interchangeable (I wish they were, the Ryobi's are on sale for Father's Day, 2 of the high capacity LiOn batteries for $99). So if you decide to go with the Ryobi tools, you are not really upgrading as far as the tools go, but I have noticed its a better deal when their batteries do go on sale (the past couple of BF's their large capacity 2 pack was onsale for $99, when Sears had the large capacity C3 LiOn batteries on sale in the past, they were $99 each).

While I love my C3 set (I have the drill/driver, spotlight, flourescent floodlight, recip saw, 5-1/2" and 7-1/4" circ. saw, impact driver and hammer drill) I find myself going for my 12V Bosch driver and/or drill/driver more just for convenience. The little Bosch driver is so convenient for driving screws and the 3/8" drill/driver is convenient for getting into tight places for general purpose drilling small holes and driving screws. I resort to using my C3 drill as a screwdriver, now, only when I kill the batteries in my Bosch's.

I would look at the various magazine tests for recommendations on other battery powered tools. I know you say you use the drill/driver most, but if you use the other tools relatively frequently, you may pick another tool to judge which manufacturer to go with. Say, for ex., when you use the recip saw, you really need it to last a full day of hard use before the batteries die, then you might want to see which manufacturer has better recip saw performance, based on these magazine reviews. I say that because most manufacturers pretty much use the same general layout for the drills, therefore, unless a drill is just plain uncomfortable to hold, the controls should not be any more or less well laid out than any other manufacturer's drill, IMHO.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
The 19.2 Li-on batteries work just fine. You will need to get a new charger that works with the Li-on.

I use the Li-on on my Craftsman and they work great. They also charge faster. I have 3 batteries - I think I have the smallest ones. They are lighter that the Nicads - that's a plus.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
Yes
Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Have you looked at the third option of having them rebuilt by MTO?
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll look harder at the Li-Ion batteries. It just seems silly to replace all the tools if all I need are better batteries.

I really like the cordless router. It's great for small pieces or quick round overs that could be done before bringing out the tailed one. Worked really great when I refaced the kitchen. Smaller base was a huge bonus.

Thanks,
Kevin
Bope said:

wait for a sale and you can buy new L ion batteries much cheaper than you will pay for a rebuild .... I have been using the sears L ion batteries in my 19.2 tools for a couple years and have no complaints
Buckhunter said:

[blockquote]Bope said:

wait for a sale and you can buy new L ion batteries much cheaper than you will pay for a rebuild .... I have been using the sears L ion batteries in my 19.2 tools for a couple years and have no complaints

[/blockquote]

+1 - About the only argument that can be made for going the rebuilt battery route is that you don't have to purchase a new charger.

To the OP: Another option, if there's a tool you don't have and would like, now may be the time to get it, but instead of getting the bare tool, get the kit with the charger and LiOn battery. For ex. if you would like to have a cordless hammerdrill, pick up the hammerdrill with a battery and charger. Then you can add a battery or two to the purchase and you'd have a tool you wanted, the right charger and two or three batteries.
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!
Check your old charger before buying a new one. My original one works with the Li-on batteries.
I actually stopped at ACE today for something else. Wouldn't you know it, they have a 19.2V Craftsman drill/driver with 2 Li-Ion batteries and a charger for $99. Plus they toss in a $30 ACE gift card. Cheapest I've seen them before is $79 for just 2 batteries/charger.

I guess my subconscious has always thought having 2 cordless drills would be a good idea, one with the drill bit, the other with the driver.

Now to get them home and see the difference.

Thanks for the input.

Kevin