Help - Upgrade HarborFreightDC or Laguna 1.5 Cyclone
I am struggling on this decision. I already have the HFDC, it is unusable in it's current state. Just by turning it on it creates far more dust than it removes. To use it, I would need to replace the bag with a Wynn filter. Also, another factor, I am limited to 110v Power.

The Wynn filter would cost $150 shipped. Has anyone stopped there? And not gone ahead and built the trashcan separator?

To also build the trashcan separator would cost I reckon around $100 more or so in parts/materials. Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdyVT8WXLxM

Or, spend $900 or so on the Laguna 1.5hp Cyclone?

Looking at investing $250 in the cheapo DC, or pony up for the Laguna... I can't get 220v power, so am limited to these options...

I just can't figure if I want to put lipstick on this pig... but if she'll sing the same, I'm not scared to...
I have the Wynn filter on my harbor freight dust collector and it works like a charm.
Fill your heart with compassion, seek the jewel in every soul, share a word of kindness, and remember; the people's what it's about.
Capt. Tony Tarracino

I put a Winn filter + Super dust deputy, on my Delta 50-760. It works great. I would probably just buy a Grizz cyclone, if I had to do it again.
Is your HF an old model running the original bags. Those were useless. I thought they switched to a much better single top bag years ago???

Anyway, an upgraded heavy felt bag will do wonders on the HF unit. Thats is a pretty cheap upgrade. Next, a canister filter such as the one you mention is also fine. I have an Oneida on mine and it works great.

Add the Thien baffle for the investment of an hour of time and you have a pretty serviceable collector.

Unless you have deep pockets and are spending most of your time in the shop, I wouldn't blow that kind of money on a cyclone unless you step up to 240 v fan that can move a lot more air. Sure, the cyclone is more efficient but wow, thats a lot of green-backs.

You may be surprised how much better your HF will run with the Thien baffle and either a jumbo felt bag or a canister expecially if you are running the old burlap bags that used to come with the HF

If you are not familiar with the Thien baffle, do a search. Its a simple home-made insert that goes into the HF unit and gives you "most" of the benefits of a cyclone in the bottom of your existing collector at little-to-no cost if you have a little time and some "scrap" wood laying around. Phill Thien is a member here and posts quite often.
This is the kind of encouragement I needed. I appreciate you gentlemen.

Wynn filter is on the way... now to research the seperator. Metal trash can or paper bin? Where to get the paper one?
Strokes77 said:

Wynn filter is on the way... now to research the seperator. Metal trash can or paper bin? Where to get the paper one?

Here is one place to go for cardboard barrels. http://www.uline.com/BL_8151/Fiber-Drums...Q&gclsrc=ds A little pricey if you ask me when compared to a metal trash can.
Good choice with the wynn filter. I added a Thien baffle to the dc and a garbage can with Thien baffle before fan. I cut 4 " holes in the top of plastic can and added straight section in center for discharge( line to dc) and a 45 as intake. Attached the baffle to the top with long bolts.. The only dust I get in the dc is fine sanding dust from the lathe. The garbage can was one I had with a locking top. Added foam around the side to make lid fit tighter.
I cut a circle out of the plywood to mount the filter and let the cone in the dc support it.
We have the 1.5 hp Laguna in the shop. It comes set up for 110, not 220. It doesn't draw enough amps to make switching the leads and plug to 220 worthwhile. HF upgrades make more sense
Strokes77 said:

This is the kind of encouragement I needed. I appreciate you gentlemen.

Another source for the cardboard barrels.

Mcmaster Carr linky

In the Uline link above you have to buy 2 barrels.
If it wasn't for last minute, nothing would get done.

Visit my site for project pics and videos: dlgwoodwork.com
I have a Penn State "2 h.p." D.C. I first added a Wynn spun bond cartridge filter. It worked well but sure did get a lot of chips & dust in the filter. I then added a Thien baffle in bottom of the metal 'funnel'. That helped a LOT to keep the filter clean. I don't find the bottom clear plastic bag that hard to empty but I only empty it perhaps 4-6 times a year. It makes life simpler to empty the bag when it gets about half full. Easier to maneuver and I think the separation is better when there's more room between the dust pile and Thien baffle. I dump the plastic bag contents into a trash bag and when full take it to a wildlife rescue place.

I know about the Thien 'Top Hat' design but decided against it. For me it would have been more flexible hose, more floor space taken, probably some loss of airflow. More than one way to solve the dust collection problem, do what works best for your situation.