Help with glue up
I'm trying to glue up a table top that is made out of two boards that each have a live edge and a square cut edge. I'm trying to figure out how to clamp the boards together and not damage the live edges. Any ideas?

Jeff
It's time for the patriots to stand up!
Id use a couple strips of high density 2" thick closed cell foam - foamular 150 or 250 is sold at home depot and menards and is pink. It is extruded polystyrene. Rough shape it to fit the live edge.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Glue some blocks on the top and bottom side. Use them to clamp the two pieces together.
Well, Bye...
MagsĀ® said:

Glue some blocks on the top and bottom side. Use them to clamp the two pieces together.

I was thinking the same thing. But perhaps he can get by with just blocks on the bottom, if he adds clamps to make sure that the two boards remain flat it should work. But I have never tried this so he will have to make a dry fit to check first.

There is quite a bit written on the subject: https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2...e%20boards

And:
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I did as Mike suggested when I glued up a live edge slab countertop. I used some 1-1/2" purple foam board I had laying around and it worked fine. As long as the joints are fit together well it doesn't take a lot of clamping force to hold them while the glue dries. I know, you are supposed to put some nearly unobtainable force on joints to assure a good bond, but reality seems show otherwise. My justification is that if a rub joint can survive it doesn't take much pressure.

John
I'll get some foam board out and glue it up. Great idea. Thanks.

Jeff
I use sanding sponges.
If there is a little damage, it's ok because I still need to shape and sand the edge anyway. I just blend in any mechanical marks.
Woodwork... It's what I do for a living.
(well, such as it may be, It's my job)
((cept my boss is a @#!*&))
I think I'm gonna fire myself for that
That's a good idea.
If the live edge is 2" and your edges are dead-on, the amount of clamping pressure you'll need is unlikely to damage the live edge on most hardwoods. Most of the time the live edge needs some heavy sanding or wire brushing to clean it up. Any minor dents can be removed then.

If your slab is 1" or thinner, go with the previous suggestions
I'd consider Luthier's clamps AKA Spanish Clamps. Make your own from wood and rope. The joint gets aligned from the triangles and cauls underneath. The edge ropes pull the joint together.