Grizzly out of jointers
Whats up with Grizzly. Seems they are out of stock on many of their jointers. Been looking for a used 8in but cant find one. Only option is buy the current straight knive 8in and put a helical head in myself. Doesnt look that hard. Anyone done it?
I put them on my Delta 8" but I had it torn down to remove 4 coats of paint so it was really simple.

On the Deltas I've worked on it was just one bolt holding each bearing in place so it was a really straight forward replacement.

I live about 20 minutes from the Byrd plant so I went there and picked mine up.

Really great folks to deal with
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Or wait a month or so till the next boat comes in and just buy what you want.....

Call them and ask when they expect to have it in stock, and place an order reserving one of the ones on the way.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

They are selling them like hotcakes. When my friend ordered his recent 12" helical head one they hit the web site and then were sold out in less than a day. He called to discuss something else and the woman told him there was a lot of pent up demand they did not anticipate. They are filling orders and ordering more as they get requests.
" just buy what you want"

Oh, I dont need to wait a month to buy what I want. They got a 12in jointer with helical head in stock...thats what I want. But I know I dont need it....an 8in will do just fine, esp considering my entire hand plane collection remained intact and survived the divorce. Plus with my small shop every inch counts.

But its taking everything I got to resist getting the 12in....thinking since they are out of the 8's just get the 12. But that would eat a good chunk of the budget and mean I would have to get a cheaper bandsaw or dust collector.

I checked and looks like the old style 8's with the dovetail ways will be in around first of July...that boat has left for America. But the newer style 8in hasnt left yet. Those are estimated to arrive on the west coast around august 8...but they dont know if they will even get any at the MO facility where mine will ship from. So it could be months and months before I get that one.
If you really want the 8" jointer, and there's no stock available, I highly recommend ordering it now. Could be the next shipment will be sold out even before it arrives. Call and get an estimate on when they will arrive, and get in the queue. They won't charge your card until it ships.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
OK, just to complicate your life a little more, if you are cramped for space why not get a 12 or 16" J/P instead of a separate jointer and planer? It will take up less space than two machines and you'll have that 12" (or 16") jointer you want. I have a 14" J/P and wider definitely is better. Hammer, Mini-Max, and Felder all make very nice J/P's.

John
Yeah John, I considered a combo J/P but didnt know if I would like it or not. Never had the chance to use one so dont know if I would be bothered about the changeover. I have seen them close up at some shows and they look great. I like the space saving aspect and only maintaining one cutterhead.

But didnt want to drop a huge sum then realize I didnt like it. But would sure welcome the wide jointer. Far away in another life I owned a 16 in and loved it.
I put a Byrd in my Shop Fox 1741(same as the G0490). Wasn't hard at all.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Have you checked Craigslist? I saw an 8" listed for sale in your general area. Byrd can make you a head for any jointer -- I gave them the head off an American Standard and they made a new Shelix for it in about two weeks ( and it was no more expensive than a "standard" head).
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)