Hearing protection and hearing aids
I find that when I use ear muff hearing protection, when I am wearing my hearing aids, I get feedback. I put cotton in my ears before putting on the muffs. This is a hassle.

I got a pair of 3M, Optime 105 muffs, and I do not get feedback. I love it.

I am interested in hearing what others use for hearing protection, especially if you are a hearing aid wearer.

FYI, if I had followed all the safety rules when I was younger, I likely would not need the hearing aids today!
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Never wear hearing aids with muffs, never. I use DeWalt yellow muffs as they block noise better than the black muffs-AOSafety.
Paul from the beautiful mid-coast of Maine (USA)
I just remove my hearing aids.
Browning among others makes a circumaural that block loud noises but let ordinary conversations through. They can even be set to attenuate certain frequencies which are normally noise. Cost is ~$150 up. Down side is the batteries.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
It dawned on me years ago that if I didn't want to wear hearing aids, I'd better start wearing hearing muffs.

I wear them when mowing and weed whacking now too.

And sometimes when the wife is in a bad mood.
PSA for those who can still hear.
Go to HF and pick up four or five pairs of ear muffs. Place them in strategic spots all around your shop--especially near noisemakers. Use them and insist that your visitors (esp. grandkids) wear them. The kids will adopt the habit sooner than you will and they will remind you to use yours.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
paulmaine said:

Never wear hearing aids with muffs, never. I use DeWalt yellow muffs as they block noise better than the black muffs-AOSafety.

Finally settled on these types for the girls. They will fit heads as small as a 4-yr old and make a good seal. The girls couldn't tolerate some other types I got 'em. http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjkyWDEwMDA=/z...36;_35.JPG

Take the hearing aids off, put the muffs on.

Though after all the hours in B52s, my ears generate enough ring to block a router!

Oh yes, the LV kids' glasses fit and cover nicely. Spent time and money elsewhere before I discovered it.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
+1. I have exceptionally good hearing. In the Army, we got annual hearing tests, and I'd score zero across the board (0 dB for each frequency tested). Average scores were 10's and 15's. Drove my soldiers nuts that I could hear conversations and noises long before they could. So, I too, wear hearing protection in the shop, and when mowing and weed whacking.

daddo said:

It dawned on me years ago that if I didn't want to wear hearing aids, I'd better start wearing hearing muffs.

I wear them when mowing and weed whacking now too.

And sometimes when the wife is in a bad mood.

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
JimReed@Tallahassee said:

PSA for those who can still hear.
Go to HF and pick up four or five pairs of ear muffs. Place them in strategic spots all around your shop--especially near noisemakers. Use them and insist that your visitors (esp. grandkids) wear them. The kids will adopt the habit sooner than you will and they will remind you to use yours.

Great advice. I have 3 pair, 2 in the shop and one in the shed for yard work / spider nests . The most recent pair I bought was to replace a pair with a cracked seal. I think I will buy a couple more of this particular set. I keep the extra pair so it is easy to find one, but the second pair is also occasionally used by a visitor.

PSA, look inside the muff before covering your ear.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Cecil said:

I got a pair of 3M, Optime 105 muffs, and I do not get feedback. I love it.

You are literally looking at the difference of good earmuff versus bad earmuff. Many aren't worth the trash they are made from. If you are enjoying the 3M Peltor Optine's, you would also enjoy These as well Those are a 31 NRR, over your 29NRR. Doesn't sound like much, but a world of difference to your ears. No matter how it works best for you, hearing aids in, or out, wear the hearing protection, and it is impossible to wear ear plugs with a hearing aid, so muff's it is. Mostly I am glad you got rid of your feedback problem. Not really sure why, but it is the double shell construction, versus the single outer cup of most of the crappier ones.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW