Mobile Base for Older Unisaw
I have a '49 Unisaw with a cast iron base. What's a good, and hopefully affordable, mobile base for this? How about the heavy-duty Shop Fox? My shop is little, so I occasionally have to shift the saw around.

Also, any ideas to get the saw onto the base? Is an engine lift a good choice?

Thanks!
If you're not opposed to building your own, there are a lot of good options out there. I build mine with some castors and plywood.

Mine is similar to this, although it doesn't look as good.
I have an older unisaw (not as old as yours) on a Shop-Fox base and think it works just fine.
-Howard
Hey, I recognize that base. That is/was mine. As to the Shop Fox base, I just helped a fiend put a Grizzly saw on a Heavy duty Shop Fox mobile base. It is the worst thing I have ever seen. The wheels will not freely swivel and they end up with flat spots from grinding on the concrete. . I have put all of my tools on the mobile bases myself. I rock up each side and put 2x4 under it until it is high enough to get the mobile base under it. Slide the base under and reverse the process.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I got a Rockler All Terrain mobile base for my 1953 Unisaw. A little spendy, but the best mobile base I have ever used. Rock solid, wheel brakes (2) easy to use.

http://www.rockler.com/power-tool-access...bile-bases

Ed
I bought a shop fox heavy duty mobile base for a 10" Powermatic saw.

The wheels are steel, and the raising mechanism is jack screws, not levers. It has worked out great. The plastic wheels do flatten with time. Steel is worth it.

I bought an HTC mobile base, and the cam levers aren't strong enough to lift a light duty General 10" table saw. I keep a pry bar on the miter gauge rack to raise and lower the saw.
Currently my '44 Unisaw is set in a Shop Fox MB, while it works the thing I don't like about the Shop Fox base is the leveling feet. They (the leveling feet) only raise off the floor by maybe 3/16" so if you have expansion joints in your floor they tend to catch when moving it. Also it isn't the smoothest or easiest to roll base.

Recently I bought a Portamate PM-3500 and it's really awesome. But it's quite a bit more than the SF MB, so if you don't move it often then the standard SF MB is for you, if you want a super easy to roll base the consider the Portamate. No affiliation, just a happy customer...

I used an engine hoist to get mine in the MB, super easy to do with some loading straps.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Now to do some shopping.
My PM66 has been on a Shop Fox for three years and spends a LOT of time not moving (because I don't get a chance to use it). When I need to use it, I have to roll it into place (small garage shop). I have yet to notice any flat spots.

It has two swivel casters (wish it had four) and threaded levelers.

I only dislike one thing, and it's INCREDIBLY minor, and more my fault than the base--I have a router hanging off the side, and it can get tippy if I push from the opposite side.

Otherwise, I love it.
Semper fi,
Brad

+1 on the Rockler All Terrain base. I've had it under my 22124 for years.