One problem leads to the next problem
The saga continues....

I received the adapter (1¼ 10TPI to 1 x 10TPI) from Penn State Industries for the new faceplates I purchased from them last week.

Now, when I use this, it IS wonderful.... BUT when I go to remove the workpiece from the lathe, naturally, the big adapter comes off the lathe, leaving the adapter on the faceplate.

So now, I have to get the adapter off the faceplate. This happens every time. I'm afraid to over tighten the adapter on, it might be a REAL pain to get off, when I need to use the oneway chuck.

So, I guess I need a wrench that will fit this adapter. It measures 1 13/16". Now that is one hunking wrench and the cost of such a wrench, is far more than the adapter.

Do you guys know where to get a cheap wrench, or some other solution? Right now, I am using a big channel wrench, but I don't like marring the surface and then I would need a 1¼" wrench for the faceplate as well.

What a pain. To bad Penn State didn't offer 1¼ x 10 TPI in the 1st place, or an allen screw locking thingy (aka Set Screw), in the adapter.
A large adjustable wrench won't do? Sears carries that specific size combination wrench, but an adjustable one is cheaper. Probably could find one at the BORG also.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Check out ebay. There are a few at reasonable prices. They are also called service wrenches
Larry
AHill said:

A large adjustable wrench won't do? Sears carries that specific size combination wrench, but an adjustable one is cheaper. Probably could find one at the BORG also.

I looked at the BORG last night. The largest adjustable wrenches do not go over 1½". Not cheap either.

I saw an add for 7/8" 2 wrenches for $6 and was hoping for something like that, in the sizes I need.
You could put one of these between the FP and the adapter.

Or get an adjustable wrench, put that on the adapter and turn the lathe by hand until the wrench hits the ways. Put 2 screws bolts, whatever through the FP put a bar, wood or anything long enough and twist the FP off the adapter.

By any chance does that adapter have a set screw?
Angus said:

By any chance does that adapter have a set screw?

No set screw. That would have been too easy.
When I need to do something big like that I use my Crescent wrench or slip joint wrench or called channel locks.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
next time,don't buy from Penn State.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Drill and tap the adapter for a set screw.

Twinn

Edit to add: If it was me I'd get the right size faceplate. The more things you stack between the spindle and the wood, the more chance for something to be off.
Will post for food.
theeviltwinn said:

Drill and tap the adapter for a set screw.

Twinn

Edit to add: If it was me I'd get the right size faceplate. The more things you stack between the spindle and the wood, the more chance for something to be off.

Drilling and tapping sounds like the way to go AND getting a "service" wrench. Thanks for the input. As far getting the right size to begin with.... well.... actually I bought these by mistake (not noticing the size wasn't for my lathe). So, instead of returning the faceplates for a refund ... I figure the shipping would offset getting the adapter. So, here I am.