Do you have a favorite finish to spray?
I am going to try to spray finish a large furniture project for the first time. I have sprayed boxes and picture frames but never a grandfather clock. Are there certain products that you prefer to spray because they are easier to apply and look good? Thanks.
Pre cat lacquer but it's not for everyone. Dries fast, durable, crystal clear, UV inhibitor resists ambering well, and it's easy to repair or even renew. It's also relatively cheap and what I know....and know well. However, if I was just starting out I'd find a waterborne product.

Jim, after you dye or stain it, I would spray it first with a coat of Sealcoat shellac straight as it comes from the can. The easiest topcoat I have ever sprayed, which admittedly isn't that many different products, is General Finishes' High Performance Poly. Very easy to spray, even on vertical surfaces. It's water clear and highlights the grain beautifully. I submit this as proof of how nice it looks:

Low odor and WB, so there's no danger of blowing yourself up. Every bit as easy to spray and beautiful is GF's Enduro Clear Poly. No UV package, but higher chemical durability and abrasion resistance. Neither of those properties should matter for a clock, however, so I'd stick with HP Poly. One coat of Sealcoat and 2 or 3 coats of HP Poly should do it. It dries in an hour and you can sand/recoat in 2 or 3 hours.

John
For a first time spray, you can't go too wrong with shellac. Use a small needle in the gun if possible.

I have switched from Sherwin Williams Hi-Build NC lacquer to the SW Shurwood lacquer. It may be a precat product. But it sprays better and dries faster.
They told me anybody could do it, but I showed them.
JSpill said:

I am going to try to spray finish a large furniture project for the first time. I have sprayed boxes and picture frames but never a grandfather clock. Are there certain products that you prefer to spray because they are easier to apply and look good? Thanks.

My spray area is attached to my house so I can't tolerate strong odors. I've used ICI Woodpride waterborne varnish for years. I sprays on well with my cheap conversion gun.

I've switch to spraying alcohol based aniline dyd so that I can top coat with the waterborne varnish in a half hour or so.
WoodNET... the new safespace