Radial Arm saw motor problem...
The saw- Craftsman 10" radial, from around '75
when I turn the motor on, it hums, blade will not turn, then goes quite and have to reset breaker.
Usually this is when a blade gets stuck or movement impeded. Not this time even with blade off. I love this saw. Any one have an idea where to look or fix? thanks
I had one of those for many years- I don't think it has a capacitor.

If it is 220v, check that you have proper voltage going to the motor.

If it's 120v- bad motor winding.
Pull the plug out from wall outlet. Open the cover of the box on the motor that houses the wiring to change motor voltage and use a screwdriver to tap on the start/stop relay in the box. There also is a capacitor in the box but probably is ok. I had the same issue and this corrected the problem. Plug back in and turn power switch on.

Roger in Texas
Have a picture? I might have one you can have for shipping. Mine may be older than that.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

If you are not aware of the recall, check radialarmsawrecall.com There is an guard and table upgrade kit available or $100 for returning the motor and carriage assembly, depends on the model. Costs you nothing. A couple of months ago I took the $100 for my 1970.
thanks all... hope to get it back going again...
the recall - I'll be dammed! Yes, I am one of those. I did not see where I get a new motor. Wow, thanks for this tip.
RickJ said:

the recall - I'll be dammed! Yes, I am one of those. I did not see where I get a new motor. Wow, thanks for this tip.

you don't you get 100 dollars..

As for the problem open up the box as stated and blow out all the accumulated dust. It will run again.....

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Rick

IF you can buy this one in S&S it is fantastic and great price too and he is in NV too.

http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads...amp;sb=5&o=
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
JGrout said:

[blockquote]RickJ said:

you don't you get 100 dollars..

As for the problem open up the box as stated and blow out all the accumulated dust. It will run again.....

Joe

[/blockquote]

Why not? I don't know where he got the idea that he'd get a new motor, but why can't he get $100 for sending in the motor and carriage?

Just curious...I've got a 1969 model that I bought new and wouldn't consider turning in for $100. Has something changed in the recall program?
Bob