Design in Wood 2016--Pictures
I have missed the past several years, but this year I managed to sneak back into the Del Mar Fair and check out the Design in Wood show. I took some pictures so the rest of you can get a sense of what this year's show looks like, and perhaps even some local (or local-ish) folks might manage to make it to the show.

I don't know that this would make a comfortable seat, but I have to admire the creativity and the effort it must have taken to make those horns (bent laminations):

Here is a fun idea for a dresser for a child's room:

The picture doesn't do this one justice. This veneer has fabulous figure. In person it creates the sense of a rippled surface of water:

Bob Stevenson used to be the coordinator/mind behind the DIW show. On account of his position he was not able to enter any of his own work. Well, he retired from the position several years back and now he can put his pieces in the show. He had three pieces that I noted, all of them of this caliber:

Fun writing desk:

Anybody want to take on the task of making something for the wife to wear?

I can't imagine why, but this one makes me hungry:

And this one makes me feel like something is wrong with my eyes:

Probably the one that got away:

Several pictures of guitars playing off the Alice in Wonderland theme (each year the fair picks a different theme):

Continued before I max out on images...
The Best of Show:

I have no idea what it took to create this piece, but I am impressed:

I love Craftsman pieces. This is an entry door:

The rest of these are just shots of some of the different displays:

And most conveniently, right next to the building housing the DIW show is a vendor all set up to satisfy the appetite created by that "Torus" donut:

Lamentably that is a $9 donut, so no dozen of them. But I still got one and shared it with The Varmints.
Awesome. The writing desk seems to be H.G. Wells Time Machine theme along with something else. Train from one of the Back to the Future movies?
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Great post, a Beagle brings a smile to me every time.
What the Heck, Give it a Try
Thank you so much for sharing. We lived in SD from 2000 to 2006 and when we first went to the Fair in 2001, I was blown away by DIW. I miss it every year. That and the Palomar College booth was the reason why I got into WWing.

We have a smaller county fair over here with a much, much smaller furniture section. Luckily for me, my odds of getting a ribbon here have been pretty good. No way I'd have a chance with that DIW crowd.
Great pics.
How long is it open?
We're coming out there the beginning of August.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
Oh, my, what talent. Creativity beyond belief. Now, I know I am not worthy to critique these but I will put my neck on the chopping block to say that I don't understand why the artist would put such an ugly panel below the leaded glass in the G & G entry door. Ken
It runs through the 4th of July. No joy in August.
Thanks for sharing.

The Varmits looked surprisingly well disciplined. Not sure why, but I imagined wild eyed hooligans
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Amazing stuff! And close enough that I might make a trip to see it. Thanks for sharing!
Still Learning,

Allan Hill