Design in Wood 2016--Pictures
no words to describe these works of art
Thanks for the post. Such impressive work keeps me humble.

John
Great pics glad you posted.
Wow! Beautiful work. Thanks for posting.

Frank
Frank
I liked the best-of-show piece and there were a few I saw in the general displays that looked well done. Most of it, however, brought to mind Krenov's comment concerning the trend in design..."If you can't make it good, make it wierd."
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
Yeah, some weird stuff, but there is an awful lot of time and skill in these pieces. Not often you get to see that much skilled woodworking in one place. Kind of overwhelming really.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
It is overwhelming, and folks really have to push the envelope in order to get noticed in that environment.

To a certain extent this show is about presenting samples of one's own work for the sake of drawing clients who will commission custom designed pieces to fit a certain niche or match or complement another design feature. I can't speak for any of those who made the pieces, but I imagine some may be aiming for the outlandish just to draw the attention.

That chair with the curved horns is Del Cover's work. He does some pretty outlandish stuff from time to time. You can take a look at some of his work and you will find it is a mix of all sorts of things. He is a very versatile woodworker.

I am happy to share the pics and find them well received. I know I am lucky to have this show in my own back yard.
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

I have met the guy that made The Torus. He is a very talented woodworker. He has a Youtube video of the process. Search Kyle Toth on Youtube if you are interested.

His Torus won 2nd place at the show.
If it wasn't for last minute, nothing would get done.

Visit my site for project pics and videos: dlgwoodwork.com