What does a stonecutter need to know for a sink countertop?
Quick question:

When buying a stone bathroom counter top what information has to be provided to the stone cutter into order to have the sink and faucet cutouts end up in the right place and be the right size?

I am *assuming* that a new sink and fixtures will have some dimensions in the package. Is this a correct assumption?

Length, width, obviously, but what else? I have a bathroom remodel that I want to do as a surprise for my wife, but I have to get it done quickly while she's on vacay, so I need to order materials prior to tear down.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Ask the stonecutter.
Herb G said:

Ask the stonecutter.

Yeah...so this is several trips, right? Pick the stuff...ask the stonecutter...go get what the stone cutter needs...etc.

What I want to do is pick the sink and fixtures online, order them, download all needed information, order the counter using the information I have, then have all that waiting for me what I get back stateside.

Was hoping we've had some woodnetters that have done this (several times) before.
MAKE: Void your warranty, violate a user agreement, fry a circuit, blow a fuse, poke an eye out...  www.makezine.com

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

I'd just email the stonecutter & find out what measurements he needs, etc. Then do the legwork online.
It saves a lot of time that way.

And I have no idea that you're overseas either.

HTH
Usually the sink (in his hands) and the faucet layout. The faucet MFG has all info online if you give him the model #. Also if it is centered or set to one side. Do you intend to install a hand soap dispencer?

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
The sink should have a cutout pattern. But the manufacturer and model number of the sink should be sufficient.

Faucets come in standard patterns - 4" or 8" spacing. He only needs to know where you want the faucets relative to the center of the sink.

But calling or emailing is the best option.
Economics is much harder when you use real money.
My sink came with a paper template, but he wanted the sink as well. He did not want the faucet.

Then, to know haw many faucet holes and where I wanted them.

Since it was a triple basin kitchen sink, he scalloped the stone around the basins instead of following the pattern and made it look much better. Covered up more of the flat steel than the template suggested.

I would not expect to get the counter turned around in just a few days without much coordination. I'd buy the sink on-line and drop ship it to the granite company. For a bath, they will just install it before they deliver, probably.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
GHR said:

Faucets come in standard patterns - 4" or 8" spacing.

Single hole too.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
The granite guys that did my vanity 18 months ago didn't want to know nothing about the drawing, template, etc. They wanted the sink. They said they've had too many problems with templates and specs. to trust them. For whatever reason, that logic didn't apply to the faucet holes. They used the info. on my drawing for those.

John
jgourlay said:

[blockquote]Herb G said:

Ask the stonecutter.

Yeah...so this is several trips, right? Pick the stuff...ask the stonecutter...go get what the stone cutter needs...etc.

What I want to do is pick the sink and fixtures online, order them, download all needed information, order the counter using the information I have, then have all that waiting for me what I get back stateside.

well good luck with that....

Was hoping we've had some woodnetters that have done this (several times) before.

[/blockquote]

well good luck with that....
Big Grin I have done this several times now and three different companies want the sink bowl and the faucet set to cut the holes.....
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy