Experience with Monocoat and Livos
Wanted to hear about people's experience using Monocoat and Livos on finishing furniture. I am looking for a low VOC penetrating finish that is relatively waterproof - and these look like potentials to fit the bill. Let me know if you have used them and what your experience was.
Thanks!
I have not used either. Monocoat is a film forming finish that is wood surface only. I can't find much on Livos except that it's very expensive. You might take a look at Crstalac Poly-Ox. It's a waterborne and I would recommend it highly; but it has recently been reformulated and I haven't used it sense. It used to be excellent and likely still is.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Hi Zalsa
There are many differences between the two the most obvious is that one is synthetic and one is produced from natural raw materials. One is layer forming and one is penetrating and nourishing. There are a number of professional furniture makers using the Livos Kunos natural oil sealer or countertop oil as both products, apart from the full list of ingredients are also certified food safe. One of the great advantages of a penetrating oil, is that one can rejuvenate or even spot repair if or when necessary. The products are water resistant and vapour permeable, that is they are not rigid like traditional varnishes.

Re VOC, no VOC does not necessarily mean it is the healthiest option for you. To make an informed decision, one must know the ingredients of a product....otherwise we would need to ban oranges..as they contain VOC for example.

JR1, your comment re the products being expensive is not a new one but if I may say so, but please dont take it as being disrespectful, IMPO, it's actually the opposite. Once you have a dollar value of a product, then one must consider the other benefits of a particular product, especially coverage. e.g. 750ml can do up to 12 sq mts all three coats...that's an awful lot of furniture. Then consider your furniture piece in 10 years time, one can cut back slightly and re oil. With a varnish, it is re sanding and re coating, so consider the product and time again. Then consider synthetic products are crude oil based compared to natural product, at times organically grown. The health aspect, the biodegradability of the products, the versatility..etc...