cleaning hardwood floors
I took up carpeting and the now exposed hardwood floors look a little dull with some darker areas. I think the floors themselves are in good shape, they just need to be cleaned and brightened up.

Any recommendation on products to clean and "rejuvenate"? Maybe something I can mop on and off?

Thanks.
If you think the look may be due to any wax products applied in the past, you can try just using ammonia. It really strips the wax right off, although when I did it was a hands and knees for a day and 1/2 to get it clean. Try a small spot, if it works you might be able to mop it on and then wipe it off (but I doubt it). BTW, our floor looked better than it ever did after my cleaning.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
They used to wax hardwood floors. Perhaps a fresh coat would remove the old and buff up nicely.

There are ways to remove old wax but they tend to be harsh. I would try to put down a coat of Butcher's wax (or the equivalent to see if that works. If it does, a buffing machine will make quick work of it. Make sure all the staples are up first.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
the wax is why they quit using hardwood floors to begin with. this is back in the day when shellac was the finish of choice and wax gave the sheen, especially after the shellac wore traffic paths. I still remember mom bad mouthing the floor because they always needed wax and a buff to look good. Your best bet is screen and clean the wax off an lay a coat of finish. you will like the hw floors a lot longer that way then adding more wax to the floors. You will not believe and folks here will say it didn't happen to them, how much dirt and crap a waxed hardwood floor will collect. like I said I grew up with waxed hw floors and they are a flat pita. Women were jumping up and down over wall to wall carpet just because they didn't have to mess with waxed hw floors anymore. You are already starting with the mop on an off type stuff. . Get them cleaned up. Get the wax off and give a light sand with one of the new orbital floor sanders. Then lay a modern finish coat down and you will enjoy the floors a lot better.
Restorer said:

the wax is why they quit using hardwood floors to begin with. this is back in the day when shellac was the finish of choice and wax gave the sheen, especially after the shellac wore traffic paths. I still remember mom bad mouthing the floor because they always needed wax and a buff to look good. Your best bet is screen and clean the wax off an lay a coat of finish. you will like the hw floors a lot longer that way then adding more wax to the floors. You will not believe and folks here will say it didn't happen to them, how much dirt and crap a waxed hardwood floor will collect. like I said I grew up with waxed hw floors and they are a flat pita. Women were jumping up and down over wall to wall carpet just because they didn't have to mess with waxed hw floors anymore. You are already starting with the mop on an off type stuff. . Get them cleaned up. Get the wax off and give a light sand with one of the new orbital floor sanders. Then lay a modern finish coat down and you will enjoy the floors a lot better.

He was asking how to clean it. And all the stuff (like naphtha) that I know will clean the wax will probably wreck havoc with the shellac.

I agree that a good poly finish ends that problem and not putting down a fresh coat of wax now is better for that purpose. It is less wax to remove prior to finishing.

The biggest issue for me is traffic. Notwithstanding the claims that water based dries in 24 hours they don't reach full cure for 200 hours. So you want to schedule communal areas when few people will be around (or just before a vacation).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I just refinished hardwood floors after pulling up the carpeting. The original finish was shellac. I used a floor buffer with a cleaning solution to clean everything and it left the whitish stain from water on shellac. I then gave it one coat of wax free shellac to clear up the finish and used two coats of polyurethane. Looks great.
Screen or abrade the finish and apply one of the newer waterborne floor finishes. Spend the money and get a quality finish designed for floors. Bona and Lobadur (Loba) are two quality ones that come to mind. I have the Loba on my floors and I couldn't imagine a better finish for durability, ease of application and easy to repair. In my area, a new topcoat can had for $2, or even less, per sq/ft.

Don't use ammonia. It may cut the wax but if the floors are finished with shellac it will dissolve it, too. Mineral spirits or Naptha will remove wax without hurting shellac, or any other finish. Murphy's Oil Soap will remove most anything the MS or Naptha doesn't, but only use a damp mop with no excess liquid that can run between the boards. Wipe with a damp mop in clean water and dry.

When it's clean you can repair any damaged areas with shellac, assuming that's what the original finish was. You can add Transtint dye to Sealcoat (dewaxed) shellac to match the color of the existing shellac. Then topcoat with floor polyurethane, as others recommended. Bona HD is waterborne and gets excellent reviews.

John
If the finish is indeed shellac (which would make them really old, I think) you would not want to use ammonia as I suggested warlier to clean them...it will destroy the shellac. That's best used on the floor with the urethane finishes...it won't damage the finish and it will get off the wax (which tends to hold dirt and what not causing the dull appearance. There were a couple of suggestions to apply another coat of finish...that's what a professional hardwood floor guy told me I would need to if the ammonia didn't get things cleaned up.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The "dull" part makes me think they are finely scratched from at least the carpet. Was there a pad beneath the carpet? The dark spots make me think that moisture was trapped or water was absorbed. If the dark spots are really dark, they will most likely need to be sanded down for complete removal.