Heat
Was 126° in Palm Desert yesterday and 106° here. Our favorite Costco is in Palm Desert - needless to say, we didn't go there.

So that rip roaring start to the 1st day summer has got me wondering what woodworking materials, finishes, tools, etc. are affected by heat. My shellac flakes are in the fridge - what else should be.

Does wood behave differently in the heat? I'm not thinking it does anything but dry faster - the RH has been < 20%.

What about stuff like waterstones?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I'll bet your water stones are less effected than you are
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

blackhat said:

I'll bet your water stones are less effected than you are

I just sit here in the air conditioning and whine so I'm not really affected. Got finishes stored out there that I imagine are suffering though.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
The block of wax that you use on the soles of planes melts.

We don't get quite that hot, but I got sick of throwing out so much finishing stuff and glue, I finally realized how much of that stuff needs be kept in a climate controlled environment.

I'm indoors are soon as the temperature even thinks about topping 90. Can't imagine what 110 feel like. Actually, I don't want to.

Steve
80° F is a.as high as any waterborne recommends application and is likely near the storage limit. So that may be an issue.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Yeah, I had a block of paraffin wrap right around the power cord to my LV bench lamp. Took it off in the winter. As fat and unfit as I am, I break I sweat at 70° and melt at 85°. I mean I have to wear a sweatband to keep from drowning tools and projects.

Winter is kinder to me but then I have to worry about minimum temps for glue and finish. In the summer it's open time for glue. At 110° Titebond III turns rubbery in about 30 secs. Ah well, we all have our challenges.

Are you going to make it to LN's 30th Clambake Celebration?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
cputnam said:

Are you going to make it to LN's 30th Clambake Celebration?

Missing it by exactly one week. I can play with tools and eat lobster separately.

Steve
If you're sweating like a fat chick in a candy shop while you're working cherry and your sweat gets all over it, it will stain and not in a nice way.

carl
It's weird this year. Here in the PacNW we have hail storms, clouds, sun, and think about turning the heat on. The tomatoes don't like the weather. Last year everything was burning up.

My worst day was 110 +, after a 2-inch rain storm while camping in the Badlands. The combination of concrete colored clay mud, ghastly humidity, and hundreds of vultures on the cliffs surrounding us was memorable. The day before was hotter and dusty.

Instead of gapping drawers at one dime, use a penny. I would do finishing at night, with lots of thinner.
Curt, I'm not all that far away from you. Premixed shellac has issues with heat. Stuff like Shellawax breaks down. I've taken all my oil based finishes and now store them inside. No issues with any solvents I have. Wood fillers dry out, no matter what they are packaged in. I've not tried storing things upside down.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill