Soil pH testing
I need to test the soil in my garden for pH.

Do those DIY testers (electronic or otherwise) available at the big box stores actually work to a reasonable accuracy?

Thanks...
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
No, not at all IME.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
The last time I had ph tested I sent in samples and then picked up the kit with the pills on clearance. It was very close to the mail in sample.

Here in tx the main service is through A&M but I sent mine into a commercial company that does it for big farms and the price was cheaper and they included allot more information but I can't find the link to them.
I have bought two similar types. The first just was pushed into the dirt, left several hours and was junk($12).

The second requires sterilizing the soil sample, adding specified amount of distilled water and more.($8)

That is too much work, so have yet to use it.
I bought digital instruments from Harris Seeds. One measures soil PH and also tells you if the soil needs watering.
Another device tell if the soil needs fertilizer. I also have a soil thermometer from Harris Seeds.All three are inexpensive and they work well.I used to farm, I took soil samples to the nearby Farm Bureau for testing. I had the PH analyzer checked by them,PH was usually within 1 point.Another words if my instrument said 6.2 PH theirs would be 6.1 or 6.3 sometimes hit right on.The lower the PH the more accurate my instrument seemed to be.
I am well satisfied with all three of them.If you buy one of these,make sure when done you clean the probes thoroughly with a damp rag.
mike
mike4244 said:

I bought digital instruments from Harris Seeds. One measures soil PH and also tells you if the soil needs watering.
Another device tell if the soil needs fertilizer. I also have a soil thermometer from Harris Seeds.All three are inexpensive and they work well.I used to farm, I took soil samples to the nearby Farm Bureau for testing. I had the PH analyzer checked by them,PH was usually within 1 point.Another words if my instrument said 6.2 PH theirs would be 6.1 or 6.3 sometimes hit right on.The lower the PH the more accurate my instrument seemed to be.
I am well satisfied with all three of them.If you buy one of these,make sure when done you clean the probes thoroughly with a damp rag.
mike

Is this the one?

web page

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
woodhead said:

[blockquote]mike4244 said:

mike

Is this the one?

web page

Al

[/blockquote]

Not sure which way I'm going to go, but the smallish electronic testers like the one linked are what I'm considering.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
I took a couple samples to the local garden shop/greenhouse for free PH testing. [A real garden shop, not a borg.]

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.