selling some wood -reality check
A few years ago a buddy and I had some wood milled; Maple, Ash and some White Oak which we had quarter sawn. We split the cost and the stash and I still have a fair amount of it left.
I got a call from my friend recently that he is selling his house and moving out of state and would I like to buy him out on his share of the wood? The real answer, is not especially, I have what I can use, but he's a friend of mine and needs to be out of his place in about a month. So the bottom line is, I'm going to come into possession of a few hundred board feet of lumber that I really don't have room for. It is all air dried, rough sawn to 5/4 and has been stored inside. I think we paid about .50 a bf to cut it (probably a little less). My question to you all, is what is a good price I can turn this stuff over for? I will likely list this in SS when I have a better handle on what I actually have, but I'm in Michigan and buyers would have to be close enough to make the trip worthwhile. Thank you!
Unless you separate it according to grade, I'd say $1.00 per bf. If graded, then adjust the price according to the quality...something like $4/bf for the QSWO and Maple with 8/4 or thicker perhaps 50% higher. The Ash is the least valuable since the EAB has made it so plentiful.

Being air dried, there is a chance of bug infestation so you probably need to let any purchasers know.
If I had 8 hours to cut down a tree, I'd do it in 15 minutes with a chainsaw and drink beer the other 7:45 hrs.
I wish we were closer for the maple and oak.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Given your situation... I am assuming you would rather not mess with this? Am I right?

Tell your friend to put in on CL in the materials section.
I would say for example 120 bdft of maple $120, etc.
Ask $1 bd/ft, but they have to take the entire pile.
Since it's just a few hundred feet, split among 3 species, he should have no problem moving it quickly.

If he has more than 200 bdft of one kind, split it into 2 lots.

Make sure the ad clearly says.. take the whole pile, no picking through.

IT seems a lot easier to do it that way than to have you pick it up and then resell it for relatively little money.

When I last moved, I ended up selling about 200 bdft of red oak for $80. (No takers at $200 or $100) It hurt, but it had to be moved.. That's the nature of this hobby.
Yes, you guys have read the situation correctly. I'm not really looking to make money on the deal (although I have nothing against making money) just help out a friend with a minimum of fuss and muss. Thanks for your insights.
As an interesting side note, I was told a while ago by a local wood seller that the price of Ash was on the rise. I know there is a glut of the stuff and I figured given supply and demand the price would get very cheap. The seller's point was that given the EAB, Ash will be pretty scarce in the near future.
ed kerns said:

I was told a while ago by a local wood seller that the price of Ash was on the rise. I know there is a glut of the stuff and I figured given supply and demand the price would get very cheap. The seller's point was that given the EAB, Ash will be pretty scarce in the near future.

That is some slick marketing.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

CLETUS said:

[blockquote]ed kerns said:

I was told a while ago by a local wood seller that the price of Ash was on the rise. I know there is a glut of the stuff and I figured given supply and demand the price would get very cheap. The seller's point was that given the EAB, Ash will be pretty scarce in the near future.

That is some slick marketing.

[/blockquote]

I've heard it around here too, but then will still find people selling it off at glut prices. I think a lot of woodworkers will have enough Ash for a long time to come, or they don't have any now because they don't want it.

For the OP, Paul's advice was spot on.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I might be interested in some ash and white oak. Once you set a price shoot me a pm please