Stanley G12-060 block plane questions
Legacy plane, trying to put it back to work. Wanting to know a little more about it. From what I've found it may be a mix of models

On the side it is stamped "G12 060" on back of left side. Adjustable mouth, cutter is stamped "Stanley" "Made in England" and "England" is cast into the base. Cutter has three slots between stamp and large "D" shaped slot.

Slider is stampted and adjuster frame has "Patented" stamped into it but no dates, etc.

Brass adjusting knobs, deeply grooved.

As shown in pix the adjuster sits on top of the cutter and the adjussting disc doesn't touch the cutter.

Cleaned and sharpened it and it cuts pretty well but there's no adjusting it like I'm used to.

Opinions please

Second pix is a little off -- the feet should be on top of the cutter. I'll reshoot it tomorrow.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
There are some decent pictures of this model on e*ay auctions right now. It looks like the blade will properly be below the black lever-cap, but above the long silver-colored lateral-adjuster piece. The silver-colored piece will sort of 'flank around' the brass knob.
Chris
Smacks self on forehead

That works

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
Don't worry about it. Stanley blocks have driven me bat guano a few time.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
You've got what looks to me to be a low angle, circa '80s English Stanley 60 1/2. These are pretty good users, it is hard to screw up the manufacturing of blocks if you pay moderate attention, and in the UK they paid attention (on the very late model bench planes, not so much). While the lateral adjuster is a bit different, it works well when you have it put together correctly. I've got one of these in my till and in my opinion its a UK gem, a bit of extra heft to it as well which I like, more so than the vintage ones, for me it's a hard sell as fudge want the US made vintage ones, so its a great bargain in my book. Just take it all apart, clean it up a bit more (unless the pics were "before" and not "after") and keep it sharp and it will do yeoman's work for you.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
It may be a little older than that but close enough for now.

I'm in the middle of cleaning/sharpening it -- got it semi-sharp and put it back together to see how well it works, which is REALLY NICE!, so I'll put some more time in cleaning and honing it as time allows.

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
Turkey, I have this exact same plane that I bought back in 91 or 92. Mine has the same markings as yours, so you can be reasonably sure that yours is original and complete.
(07-18-2017, 11:29 AM)lil Willie Wrote: Turkey, I have this exact same plane that I bought back in 91 or 92.  Mine has the same markings as yours, so you can be reasonably sure that yours is original and complete.

Hi Willie;

Welcome to the forum!!!!
Skip