Need the assistance of a motor expert
I bought a Delta 10" Gumby band saw from a friend a couple of years ago. I am currently working on building a new base for it that will better fit into my tool area. The saw uses a motor from a treadmill and some sort of rheostat setup to make it variable speed so I can use it for softer metals and for wood. The question is with this large weight on the end of the motor. It makes the overall motor about 17-18" long and I am trying to reduce the footprint of the machine. Is this weight necessary or is it just a flywheel type thing that would be used on a treadmill? Here is a pic of the motor.

The part in question is the rusty bit on the end. It is attached to the shaft and rotates as the motor spins.
That's a flywheel for the treasmill should not be needed for the application now but on some machines it would be helpful.
On what types of machines would that be helpful? Is it something I should hold on to?
It would be very handy on a tool with an interrupted cut like roughing work on a lathe. I know many people put DC motors on old Shopsmith lathes to get variable speed.

I would think that a drill press would not need it so much. If it were mine, I would give the flywheel shelf space for a few years, finally pitching it as useless just 3 weeks before I really, really need it.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
SceneryMaker said:

It would be very handy on a tool with an interrupted cut like roughing work on a lathe. I know many people put DC motors on old Shopsmith lathes to get variable speed.

I would think that a drill press would not need it so much. If it were mine, I would give the flywheel shelf space for a few years, finally pitching it as useless just 3 weeks before I really, really need it.

What he said though I usually toss stuff the day before I have a use for it. Inertia is almost always a good thing on machines however getting it started can take longer.
Thanks guys, I hadn't thought about putting this motor on my lathe.
stav said:

Thanks guys, I hadn't thought about putting this motor on my lathe.

It's very common in the metalworking community to get those motors and put them on metal lathes and mills as well as drill presses because of the high torque and variable speed. Cheaper than a 3 phase motor and a vfd.