Jointer coming
Gonna take delivery of the 8in grizzly, old style with dovetail ways, spiral cutterhead jointer friday. Looking at the manual looks like the jointer bed is no longer attached to the base....I just need to pick it up with my forklift and set it on the base. Over in China they must think we all have forklifts in our shop. I bought this same jointer back in I think 1999 or 2000 and the actual jointer bed came on the base. Only thing had to do was put the fence on. Must be cheaper to break it down like they do.

I guess two men should be able to pick this up.???I am hoping I can get the UPS delivery guy to help me..
My Jet came that way, and me and another fellow was able to get it up and set it on the base. I just moved and used an engine hoist to lift it (the whole thing) by strapping it around the center section; you could do that with just the jointer bed if you have a hoist.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Shouldn't be that big of a deal with 2. I have picked up complete PM 60's alone I don't recommend it. If you have to go it alone walk it up a bit on blocks to avoid picking up from ground level. Milk crates were made for this type thing
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

My wife helped me put mine on the base when she bought me my 8" jointer. If she could help lift it then it should be a piece of cake for two men.
"...cuttin' your presidency off right now. Just quit. Because if this is you helpin' us, then stop helpin' us."
frigator said:

Over in China they must think we all have forklifts in our shop.

I would guess there isnt a person in China thinking that. I would guess its Grizz asking for it to be packaged that way to limit damage/cost.

Ive never seen an issue lifting a 6 or 8 inch jointer with two guys. Ive lifted my 6 a number of times by my self.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

It must save money to ship it this way in two boxes. Both of the jointers I previously bought came already on the base, one was an 8 and one a 16. I wonder if the 16 comes off the base now. Would need mechanical lifting for that job. I was also taught you weren't supposed to pick a jointer up by the beds....maybe an old wife's tale??

It just funny they tell us to use the forklift and don't really give much advice as to how to do it if you don't have a forklift.
frigator said:

It just funny they tell us to use the forklift and don't really give much advice as to how to do it if you don't have a forklift.

Its funny that hobbyists think they are the center of their target market. It might surprise you the amount of units that actually go to shops WITH forklifts. There is a reason the manuals are written that way.....

An easy solution for hobby shops, is to invest in an engine lift from Northern or HF. They fold up and store away in a small footprint. $140 is a small price if you buying $1000+ stationary machines.

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)