Overspray
I'm getting ready to spray a cabinet with shellac using an HF HVLP gun. I don't have a spray booth and have no plans to erect a temporary one. But the garage/shop is fairly large (1200sf), and I will be spraying as far away as possible from my shop equipment. I do have an in-ceiling exhaust fan, a JDS air filter, and filtered air conditioning. So, am I asking for trouble? How much overspray can I expect? Plan B is to just brush the stuff on, but I hope I don't have to.
Bob
If you set your HVLP correctly there wll be little or no over spray.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
You should be fine. Most of it will dry by the time it reaches the floor. If you have a fan set it up behind you to blow any overspray out the door.
Bope said:

You should be fine. Most of it will dry by the time it reaches the floor. If you have a fan set it up behind you to blow any overspray out the door.

+1

Shellac sprays easy and overspray is minimal with proper set-up.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Just another chime in on the fact that the stuff mostly dries before it hits anything, just some dust to sweep up. Waterbornes seem to do the same thing most of the time.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
BobW said:

I'm getting ready to spray a cabinet with shellac using an HF HVLP gun. I don't have a spray booth and have no plans to erect a temporary one. But the garage/shop is fairly large (1200sf), and I will be spraying as far away as possible from my shop equipment. I do have an in-ceiling exhaust fan, a JDS air filter, and filtered air conditioning. So, am I asking for trouble? How much overspray can I expect? Plan B is to just brush the stuff on, but I hope I don't have to.

You could dig out another 20% coupon and get at least one of the large canvas drop-cloths from HF to cover your tablesaw (or whatever you feel would be most affected or annoying to clean).

If it is the purple gun you are using, I'd be curious to know how it works out for you with shellac. I have a vague recollection that the default tip size is 2mm?
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
The purple HF gun I had had a 1.4 mm N/N and sprayed Sealcoat shellac beautifully.

John
Thanks all! Sounds like I'm good to go.
Bob
jteneyck said:

The purple HF gun I had had a 1.4 mm N/N and sprayed Sealcoat shellac beautifully.

John

I did a quick browse of the PDF manual and couldn't find the size. Don't know where I remember the 2.0mm size.

One of these days I'd like to get one of those and the accouterments to try it out. 6cfm@40psi, how accurate was that part of the manual?

But still reading up on HVLP turbine systems.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Rob Young said:

[blockquote]jteneyck said:

John

I did a quick browse of the PDF manual and couldn't find the size. Don't know where I remember the 2.0mm size.

One of these days I'd like to get one of those and the accouterments to try it out. [Email]6cfm@40psi[/Email], how accurate was that part of the manual?

But still reading up on HVLP turbine systems.

[/blockquote]

Sorry, Bob, your link didn't take me anywhere. I think you hit the Email UBB Code button instead of the URL one.

If your question relates to how accurate the specs are for the purple HF gun, I couldn't say with certainty. I have a compressor that can output about 11 cfm at 40 psi so I haven't needed to be concerned about it. But even if it does take 6 cfm at 40 psi you wouldn't need a very large compressor to drive that because I only use about 20 or 25 psi for spraying Sealcoat. So that's only 3 or 4 cfm at 40 psi and most any modest compressor can put out at least that much.

The HF gun really does spray very well. I've sprayed EnduroVar with it w/o thinning and it's a little slow because the orifice is only 1.4 mm, but it sprayed it beautifully.

The orifice diameter is printed, faintly, on the air cap. If it's one of the purple guns, it's likely 1.4 mm.

John