Kreg Bit Sharpening
I sent one of my Kreg bits in to be sharpened and the turnaround time was great. The problem I have is that during the sharpening process they smoked the tip of the bit; it's a wonderful black color, leading into shades of blue and gold. I can see how that could happen given the size of the tip, but I have to admit to being surprised.

Has anyone else had their Kreg bits sharpened by Kreg? Is this result normal? And is it likely to affect the performance of the bit?
Jason

Photograph the bit with the mailer from Kreg in the background, if that still exists. Then try the bit. If it's made of some high-speed steel that isn't bothered by the heat, it will be fine. If it dulls easily, you have the evidence needed to request a replacement.
That shouldn't have happened regardless of size. It may be fine for wood but I would be disappointed in them if it was mine.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Get in touch with them. By all accounts, their customer service is pretty good.
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
I use the small 3" grinder from HF for the step bits.

Sharpening bits becomes easy by hand if you practice with it and can be done in about a minute or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqn2VPGYA9c
Just document it. My Heavy duty Bit had the point snap off when I first got it. Contacted Kreg about it, they sent me 2 new ones. Great service. Dan
How much do they charge to sharpening one ?
Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently. "HF"
JerrySats said:

How much do they charge to sharpening one ?

$5 to sharpen the bit.
Jason

US$5.00 to sharpen?; not bad.

But who pays the shipping to and from KREG? And how much?
The video shows the angle for a drill bit meant to be used on metal. Woodworking drill bits should be sharpened so the included angle is 90 degrees vs. the metal ones at 118 degrees. The angle can be adjusted on a Drill Doctor bit sharpener for that reason.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill