Sharpening without water
Well, its been many years since I have sharpened anything but I am now setting up a small shop in my two bay garage. And I have no water, no laundry sink which I always had before.

Got lots of sharpening gear, Tormek which I didnt use much, maybe something stange like a drawknife. My Veritas MK system was my go to thing for bevels. Still got probably 8 platters and containers. Also got 7 shaptons, two diamond plates for flattenings the stones and all kinds of other gear.

My question is, do you guys sharpen without water. I always had it and like to rinse things to avoid grit contamination. I didnt use the stones much except anymore, relying on the Power sharpener for bevels and scary sharp on a granite plate for the backs, ending with compound or diamond paste on mdf. But I am wondering if I should incur the expense of getting water? I think I will miss having it.
I don't have water in my basement and just use gallon jugs for the last 15 years, haven't missed a faucet yet.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have no running water at my shop, but I still use my Tormek and water stones, etc. I bring gallon jugs from home to fill the trough and soak the stones (bread pans work great) and a spray bottle to spritz the diamond stones or add water to the surface of the water stones. I don't find lack of running water a real problem at least for sharpening.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
Tried Scary Sharp for awhile. No water. I just vacuumed up the swarf every once in awhile. I didn't care for swapping out sandpaper all the time, though. Oil stones is another option if you add a strop. I've done the gallon jug thing with a shallow tray to keep my stones in. To keep the stones from sliding around in the tray during use, I put a piece of non-slip mat you use in tool chests. I had some water in a spray bottle as well to keep the stones wet.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Oilstones, particularly a fine India stone followed by strop. Also have soft and hard Arkansas stones as intermediate. Baby oil cut with kerosene, no water. But do need rags to clean hands so you don't bugger the clean surface you just planed.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
Simple Green, Windex or similar mild detergent in spray bottles work well on Diamond plates.

I switched to oil stones with WD40 about two years ago.
Just throw away the old rags properly when they're filthy.

No rust on my tools, this way.

A single gallon container of WD40 should help you sharpen for a lifetime. I use a smaller trigger style spray bottle.
I've got a set of shaptons. Water is in a simple handheld pump plant sprayer and a long Rubbermaid plastic tote with lid- the small food ones about the length of an ear of corn. I use that to rinse off the stones after flattening. And soak the stones a few minutes prior to starting.

Haven't missed water yet. Keep a deer park fridge dispenser thingy in the basement for refills.
Its good to know a lot of people do well with no running water in their shops. But I found my self at the kitchen sink today sharpening some beater chisels on my shaptons. I am so used to running water when I sharpen it didnt feel right without it. Good thing the wife is in China for the summer.

Plus I miss just being able to wash things....glue brushes, my hands... esp the blood. At some point I imagine I will get the water. But I dont know where I would want it at this early stage. This is a brand new house and has those plastic pipes so will probably hire someone for the job. There is a bathroom right behind the rear wall of the shop so should be able to tap in pretty easy. And get hot water too.
I am lucky as I have a sink in my shop for "Stu's" water stones which are great. I also have been using EZE- LAP Diamonds and use glass cleaner on those and wipe dry afterwords.

Steve
Letting water run while you sharpen? Letting water run while you shave? Nope. Can't do that out here. Not enough water.

Save water - shower with a friend.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard