Any experienced trailer haulers?
I occasionally need to pull a trailer with my 2007 Trailblazer. The trailer is in actuality a mobile stage, basically a big flat bed dual axle with two wings that fold down on each side. It is 20' long, 8' wide and when the two wings are deployed it makes a 20'x16' flat surface. It weighs about 3000lbs and from the end looks like a giant "U" going down the road. The hitch is a standard Reese receiver hitch 2 5/15 ball.
When hooked to the vehicle, my truck 'squats' about 3 1/4 inches. It doesn't look excessive, but I don't know.
My problem is at about 50mph I sometimes get trailer sway, which is kind of scary when the trailer is larger than the tow vehicle. So my question is do I need just sway control, just a load leveler, or some combination? Or maybe the Trailblazer is just too small? (Although its within the rated tolerances) I know this trailer has been towed by bigger vehicles apparently without problems.
I hate to buy and install stuff I don't need, but I don't know how to find out what I need except by trial and error. I should add that the trailer itself doesn't really carry a load, so just trying to balance the load isn't an option. All experienced advice is appreciated!
The weight is not a problem. You should be good up to 5000lbs at least. You need trailer brakes really anytime you get above 3000lbs or so. You may be getting lift under the trailer that is inducing the sway. Make sure you have the right amount of tongue weight. Too little and things can get weird.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
I pull a 5500 travel trailer with a Tacoma. I think you need both, the sway control and the weight distribution. I use the Equalizer and really like it, nothing mounts on the truck its all on the trailer and hitch. My only issue with it is the hitch is heavy...not sure of the exact number but it will add 100 pounds or more to your hitch weight.
http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

As I posted this I saw the other response talking about tongue weight and that is a good point...rule of thumb is 10 percent trailer weight on the tongue and if you have to choose more or less, more is better.
+1 on the tongue weight. It can make things "interesting"

I'd also look at the hitch height -- is the trailer level when hooked up, or is it sloped to the rear or front?

I pulled a trailer for a friend and it was much better behaved when we got a "drop hitch" for his 4WD Cummings Dodge.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
At 3000 pounds you are required to have trailer brakes in MI.

The squat is because there is too much tongue weight. Everyone here in tx has a truck and a trailer and it's scary how many you see every day that are loaded wrong. Easily 90% of the trailers on the road have too much tongue weight either from poor loading or many trailers just have the axles too far back.

The tongue weight on a class 3 hitch should be no more than 350 pounds. So the easy to figure this out is to measure from the hitch to the ground. Then have 350 pounds of friends stand on the hitch. Remeasure and subtract. Now you know how much drop you should not exceed.
This will allow you to properly load the trailer without overloading the hitch.

As for the tow vehicle. That's a big trailer and 3k is allot of or a trailblazer Imo. Course we used to tow 7k with an astro van but they were made for a beating. I would have that trailer weighed to see what it really weighs as it might be more than you think. A 3k trailer doesn't need a 2 5/16 ball but I assume it started life as a flat bed trailer.
Thank you all for your replies. The trailer was custom built and I had to have it weighed in order to buy plates in Michigan. It came in about 100 pounds shy of the 2500 pound mark that would have triggered a more expensive plate fee. I have since added a couple of cargo boxes, so I estimated up to 3000 pounds, probably a generous estimate.
It does set fairly level when being towed and I do have trailer brakes and a controller. Taking Robert's advice I just stepped on the back of the hitch and put 245 pounds on it (its all I could come up with after a big meal). It dropped about 1 1/4" which only tells me that my trailer's tongue wait is heavier than 245. It may be over the 350 pounds recommended. I will look into that, when I can come up with another 100 pounds of friends. I'm guessing then that a load equalizer may be the place to begin? I don't remember the exact numbers but I did read the tag on the hitch and I know an equalizer significantly increases acceptable tongue weight. I just wish there were a way to 'try before you buy'. I don't mind spending the bucks if it fixes my problem, but I hate to waste the cash and effort if it does not.
Ed- if I were in your place I would visit a quality trailer dealer and talk to them. I don't know anything about them but there is a dealer on Airport Road west of Eastman. I bet someone that sells the stuff can give you good advice. Doing your research before is good, but if they see your rig I bet a good dealer can point you in the right direction.

You're right Dennis and oddly enough I did stop by there and got a little free advice. Unfortunately the individual I spoke with was pretty general in her advice and gave me a smorgasbord of possible fixes. What I didn't do, as you advised, is to actually pull the trailer to the place. I always like to get initial advice from folks who have no agenda to try to sell me anything, but I think my next stop is to pull the trailer over there and see what they think.
I understand the agenda thing. Good luck

thooks said:

I wouldn't pull any trailer that has a 2-5/16" tongue with a Trailblazer. With that width, I'd say you need a full-size truck at a minimum.

I change all my trailers out to have 2 5/16 balls as I like to switch from one trailer to another even though my little 5 X 8 trailer came with a 1 7/8 hitch. I did have the convert a ball on one of my trucks.