PSA...Are you ready
Or more accurately is your spouse ready? The last 3 weeks have been a whirlwind here. Confirmed diagnosis for colon cancer, was also tested for thyroid cancer. The thyroid biopsy came back negative. Already had the surgery for the colon cancer and it was a complete success.

The very little time I had to think clearly during all this got me to thinking. If this had gone the other way my wife would be sitting on a shop full of tools without knowing the value of any of them. Just a friendly reminder for those of you with an inventory system to keep it up to date. And for those of us who don't have one theres no time like the present to start.
Glad you posted this ( sad ) so many wife's giving tools away. I have a inventory of my tools just have to sit down and update.
I had to make a list for the Insurance company several years ago with all the power tools and now I am working on all the hand tools and hope to get values from the guys in Hand Tools.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I'm glad for the diagnosis.

I've thought about it, but haven't done more than that. But I'm invincible, so I don't have to worry as much.
Angus said:

Or more accurately is your spouse ready? The last 3 weeks have been a whirlwind here. Confirmed diagnosis for colon cancer, was also tested for thyroid cancer. The thyroid biopsy came back negative. Already had the surgery for the colon cancer and it was a complete success.

The very little time I had to think clearly during all this got me to thinking. If this had gone the other way my wife would be sitting on a shop full of tools without knowing the value of any of them. Just a friendly reminder for those of you with an inventory system to keep it up to date. And for those of us who don't have one theres no time like the present to start.

Sounds like a scary time in your life and I'm glad to hear the outlook is positive. Good advice though about getting things ready, and, it can be applied on several levels.
Steve K

I hope your recovery goes well.
Thanks for the reminder about the shop inventory. I have not written anything down yet but I need to.
Regards, Tod
Glad your surgery went well. I keep a spreadsheet of all my tools, what the purchase price was, and when I got it. Receipts for all tools that came with manuals are stapled to the manual and all the manuals are kept in document protectors inside binders. Sometimes I forget to add some new tools, but for the most part, everything is documented. For collected tools (used, vintage, etc.), I just keep a list. I should probably put a value on each of them as well.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I've written several articles for End Grain for Popular Woodworking. Both were humorous and I received a good response from those who commented. This past December the Grim Reaper's stagnant breath on my neck caused me to pen another End Grain, except there was nothing humorous in this story. In my 510 word essay, "Winding Up", I tried to open the door of consideration for our family and friends as we amble along life's last paths.

It had to do with aging and how to help your family in dealing with your "toys". I submitted it and heard nothing. Apparently they plan on living forever just as we once did.

I have been to the first three WIA, and I can tell you that what scalp hair was present was mostly silver. I have been to both "Handworks in Amana" extravaganzas in Iowa, and they too were populated more by the Geritol crowd than the Blue Moon boys. I think this is a valid and important subject but I guess one's mortality is better left hidden like your old, crazy aunt was. Put away and ignored.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm"
                                                                                                                        Winston Churchill
How do you know about my aunt? She's the pne that taught me woodworking. When I asked her where she learned woodworking she'd mutter something about prison and change the subject.

I've come to realize a list really isn't good enough at least in a lot of cases. I need to come up with a numbering system and engrave most of my turning stuff. That way any tool can be matched to the list. My family wouldn't know the difference between a Sorby bowl gouge and a Sorby scraper or hollower if it's just listed on paper.
I've been meaning to write a book for my family. "How to sell my tools"

I plan on pictures, what I spent , how much to ask, how to get it out of the basement, where the manuals and extra parts are that I have bagged and tagged, and anything else that I can think of.

I'll roll over in my grave if someone gets my Sweet 16 for $100 because they don't know what it is.

I better get busy.