Is the Domino a strong joint?
That may have been the biggest boondoggle FW ever published

loose tenon joinery is as strong as traditional M&T which is by far the best perpendicular joinery for _wood_ period.

there are cheaper solutions than Festool (one is promoted here regularly)

Other than that there is not much else to say.....

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Interesting discussion about this test at the FOG, here:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-to...-strength/
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
cvillewood said:

[blockquote]daddo said:

I had to look that up- never heard of the domino.

Are you living under a rock?

[/blockquote]

Domino is a brand name- I call it "loose tenon".

What does that have to do with where I live? It just happens to be the best rock on the block.
Unfortunately that test was nvalid. Moden gluees as used are much stronger than the wod so what was measured was the glued area of the wood. Unless you are into timber construction the question is pretty meaningless.
I've had a ill considered application where sound white oak broke in the wood not near the jint and another were Ipê did the same thing.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
JR1 said:

Modern glues as used are much stronger than the wood so what was measured was the glued area of the wood.

That's what it looked like to me when I looked over the list. (except for "bridle" vs "Half lap")

But a follow-up question: How strong is strong enough?

Most joints you'd use a loose tenon, biscuit or pocket hole screw for aren't going to be severely stressed.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
"Most joints you'd use a loose tenon, biscuit or pocket hole screw for aren't going to be severely stressed.

You never know where your creations may end up, esp if you move and things get stored. Movers are not gentle on things. I was shocked to see pieces I built under 100s of pounds of stuff in storage units. My blanket chest was positioned on its side with boxes of heavy books on top. We had a maitland smith table break. Best to build things for abuse cause you may not be around to keep an eye on it.
daddo said:

[blockquote]cvillewood said:

Domino is a brand name- I call it "loose tenon".

You are absolutely correct, I'm not sure how they came to be called dominoes (and find it irritating). Back under my rock, now.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
There is no way I would trust a domino joint on a table, chair, or cabinet unless I reinforced it with pocket hole screws.
The Domino loose tenons are the culprit. The grooved surfaces don't allow much glue contact. Make your own hardwood tenons with smooth surfaces, and your joint strength will approach that of the floating tenon. If the furniture will see jumping kids or karate practice, use more than one tenon. Tenons are cheap.

Wood Magazine did a similar test in 2007 with similar results. They also concluded that all joints were adequately strong for joinery.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Flawed test. They did not include butt joints with staples, or miter joints with screws. I can think of a few more.

Those are nice to know when you are deciding to build a fish stand verses a music box.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.