Is the Domino a strong joint?
Researching just how strong this Domino joint is and came across this test in FW 203

1. Half Lap = 1603 lbs to failure
2. Bridle = 1560 lbs
3. Splined Miter = 1498 lbs
4. 3/8" M&T = 1444 lbs
5. 3/8" Floating Tenon = 1396 lbs
6. Miter = 1374 lbs
7. 3/8" Wedged M&T = 1210 lbs
8. 3/8" Pinned M&T = 1162 lbs
9. 5/16" M&T = 988 lbs
10. Beadlock = 836 lbs
11. Dowelmax = 759 lbs
12. 1/4" M&T = 717 lbs
13. Pocket Screw = 698 lbs
14. Domino = 597 lbs
15. Biscuit = 545 lbs
16. Butt 473 lbs
17. Cope & Stick = 313 lbs
18. Stub Teneon = 200 lbs
That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. The results are biased. The Festool Domino is the strongest joint on the planet. I read it on the internet. It is 5 billion times stronger than a biscuit. And we are off.

Edit to add:

Isn't a 10mm domino a 3/8" floating tenon?
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Put a couple dowels in there and you have an even stronger joint.?

I had to look that up- never heard of the domino.
I'll have to dig out the results if I still have them (computer hard drive took a dump and it was not backed up) but I put a similar size M&T against a Domino at an Instron at work and they were dead even. In cherry the two joints were right around the 1050 pounds mark to get the joint to fail.

Edit to add: both joints failed the same way with the tenon(domino) splitting and pulling out of the cross grain piece.
daddo said:

I had to look that up- never heard of the domino.

Are you living under a rock?
I used a half lapped domino as a tenon and the wood turned to steel instantly.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

My Domino beat up my doweling jig.
Is it just me or does anyone else think the second setting on the domino is way too wide?! That is the main thing i HATE about the domino.

Jeremy s said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think the second setting on the domino is way too wide?! That is the main thing i HATE about the domino.

For the smaller model it is (at least for me). That's why they changed variance on the larger XL model. I've never even used the 3 setting on the smaller model.
I don't know. Maybe it's not the size that matters but how you use it.

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Domi...zigzag.pdf
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK