opinion
A friend of mine called me this morning wanting my opinion on which lathe to buy. He is looking at two, the General International 25-200, which I have had for the past 8 years and am very happy with it and the Rikon 70-200VSR, sold by Lee Valley. Both are available locally. I do not know much about the Rikon, except for what I have heard on here. The General is higher in price, but I know the Lee Valley service is top notch. So, what I am looking for are opinions on these two machines, especially the Rikon, which would you choose? I don't know much about the dealer for the General, only service it has had was bearings replaced which I did myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
Mel

If I could suggest a better lathe which I had and several hundred cheaper and not only works better but the motor has more stanama.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12VS.html

Or for a little more with a bed extension

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC12WB.html

I have the Rikon 70-100 and it is OK but not great. I also had the 12" PSI lathe and the Delta 46-460 lathe and overall the PSI works a lot better.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Thanks Arlin, but the shipping to Canada would be outrages, plus no where here to get it serviced. Then you have the issue with the Canadian dollar. That lathe would cost way above the other two.

Mel
The swing on both lathes is 12", but with a 3/4 HP motor on the General, he'll be frustrated turning bowls that large. The General has a 2 year warranty. The Rikon has a 1 HP motor and a 5 year warranty. I'd go for the Rikon.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Thanks Alan, good thought. I am happy with the General because, I don't turn many bowls. I didn't know the Rikon had a 5 year warranty, I'll pass this onto him.

Mel
AHill said:

The swing on both lathes is 12", but with a 3/4 HP motor on the General, he'll be frustrated turning bowls that large. The General has a 2 year warranty. The Rikon has a 1 HP motor and a 5 year warranty. I'd go for the Rikon.

Not that it makes much difference in actual turning - you adjust your bite to make the best cut - but the Rikon is a 6 amp DC. Can't find a full horsepower there. The General says 8 amp, FWIW.

I like the outboard on the General (International) as a platter and roughing area. I would also rather keep the motor up and away rather than down under.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
MM
My outboard holds a magnetic tray for bits and pieces, I have never turned outboard.

Mel
MichaelMouse said:

[blockquote]AHill said:

Not that it makes much difference in actual turning - you adjust your bite to make the best cut - but the Rikon is a 6 amp DC. Can't find a full horsepower there. The General says 8 amp, FWIW.

I like the outboard on the General (International) as a platter and roughing area. I would also rather keep the motor up and away rather than down under.

[/blockquote]

Good catch (no pun intended) on the motor amp ratings. I suspect they are both 3/4 HP motors. Rikon might be quoting peak power rating vs. continuous duty rating.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I always check the amp rating as a more accurate measurement of power. When the Delta midi lathe came out everyone was all excited because it came with a "1HP motor." However, the amp rating was less than my older 3/4HP Delta. Amps don't count for everything but surely a better benchmark than the marketed HP rating.

Doug
By the time that your friend pays the new price for the midi lathe, bed extension, stand, and stand extension; you are over $1400 Canadian. In that range, I would think that a used, demo, or classroom version of something like a Jet 1642 would not be many $ more.

If there are any turning clubs in the region, it would be worth checking to see if any of their members are looking for an excuse to move up from a 16" electronic variable speed lathe. Do skip the 14" Reeves drive lathes, though.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.