IKEA recalls 29 million dressers and chests after third child fatality
http://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/news/w...ter-third-child
Alaskan's for Global Warming
Eagle River AK
I'm curious why this isn't an issue with virtually every dresser made.
I'm curious, too. What makes these dressers any more likely to tip over than any other design, other than Ikea being a big target with deep pockets? Three fatalities and twenty odd reported injuries, but the first fatality was 27 years ago. Not to minimize the deaths or injuries to any children, but how does this stack up with other dressers?
EricU said:

I'm curious why this isn't an issue with virtually every dresser made.

The ASTM spec cited in the recall requires each chest of drawers or dresser include tipover restraints and a permanent warning about tipover displayed on the furniture, if the unit fails a defined tipover test. IKEA's remedy is to provide the tipover restraints to any consumer who requests them, or to refund all or part of the purchase price.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
how did we all survive growing up without that tipover warning?

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

The video I saw of this dresser depicted a dresser with metal drawer slides and the drawers aggressively moved when the unit was tipped. Traditional furniture with wood side on frame does not exhibit this issue because of friction between the wooden drawer and the frame rider. The IKEA dresser is made like a file cabinet.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
meackerman said:

how did we all survive growing up without that tipover warning?

"We all" didn't... if nobody ever cracked their skull bike riding, helmets would never exist. This tipover thing is definitely a lot more rare than bike injury, but it has happened.
Benny

JimReed@Tallahassee said:

The video I saw of this dresser depicted a dresser with metal drawer slides and the drawers aggressively moved when the unit was tipped. Traditional furniture with wood side on frame does not exhibit this issue because of friction between the wooden drawer and the frame rider. The IKEA dresser is made like a file cabinet.

That makes a lot of sense. Also, I imagine the case is lighter than a solid wood or good plywood case, so it's tipover point comes quicker too.
Benny

JimReed@Tallahassee said:

In the ASTM test, you open the drawer to its normal depth, then put weights in the drawer to see if it's still stable. Doesn't matter what kind of drawer slide the furniture uses. Government being nanny again.

Even if all furniture came with wall anchors, I doubt more than 5% of them would be installed. I have one IKEA piece of furniture - a wall shelving unit. It came with wall anchors.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
that makes sense, I've had filing cabinets almost tip over when I was frantically looking for something and wasn't being careful about closing drawers. When all the drawers start to open at once, it's time to start looking for an exit.