Storm
The news just came on saying a Tornado is 12 miles away heading towards us. We are watching the news and listening to the storm radio.

More later.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
thoughts are with you and yours Arlin
The tornado dissipated a few miles from the house.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Glad to hear that you are okay.

The last time that one got that close to us, I spent a lot of time at a friend's house with a chainsaw harvesting turning wood as the tree folks cleaned up.

Is it time to help the vets learn how to use a chain saw and some end grain sealer?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I will make a new post about us tomorrow.

That's why I moved to Hawaii. Way too many close calls with tornadoes.
One month after we got here we had a hurricane

Glad you're OK!
VH07V  
Glad to hear you and your family and safe and intact, Arlin.

My father was a weatherman in the Air Force. He said he'd rather go through 10 hurricanes before any tornado. A tornado has more destructive force than most hurricanes. I've been through 4 hurricanes (South Carolina & Florida) and 1 typhoon (Guam) and one really close tornado (Alabama). Nobody died in any of the hurricanes. There were 25 deaths in that one tornado. It hit Huntsville, AL right at evening rush hour. Shopping centers and homes were leveled.

EightFingers said:

Glad you're OK!

Still Learning,

Allan Hill
AHill said:

Glad to hear you and your family and safe and intact, Arlin.

My father was a weatherman in the Air Force. He said he'd rather go through 10 hurricanes before any tornado. A tornado has more destructive force than most hurricanes. I've been through 4 hurricanes (South Carolina & Florida) and 1 typhoon (Guam) and one really close tornado (Alabama). Nobody died in any of the hurricanes. There were 25 deaths in that one tornado. It hit Huntsville, AL right at evening rush hour. Shopping centers and homes were leveled.

[blockquote]EightFingers said:

Glad you're OK!

[/blockquote]
Your father was right.

I have not done the typhoon, but I expect that I have been through more than 10 on the ground and a couple in the air. In hindsight, flying through Chantal at 39kft was probably the most dangerous thing that I have done in my career. I was too ignorant at the time to really understand how at risk we were when every sensor on the aircraft (including the vanes and pitot tubes iced over). We had good research pilots who got us out of there by the seat of their pants and the output of 2 inertial guidance systems. At that point of my career, I did not understand the coffin corner yet. I did not see the water spout whose picture got published in Aviation Week with our DC-8 in the foreground. Our part of the hangar did not have windows so I missed that excitement.

None of those hurricanes did the localized damage of the tornadoes that have hit around us. One of those destroyed the common room/dining hall where my MIL was in assisted living at the time. Another one took out a downtown festival and wiped out trees along the side of Hampton Creek. I got a _lot_ of turning wood out of that one.

On the other hand, I have never been through an Andrew-class landfall. I hope that I never do.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.