Anyone use cordless Ryobi or Porter Cable 18 ga brad nailers?
I'm interested in any comments about your experiences. I don't anticipate heavy usage and don't want to get into compressors and all that. Just looking for a not-too-expensive set-up. Senco and DeWalt are beyond the budget. Dependability? Warranty and service?

I have the ryobi. Only really use it when I need to fire a few brads. It heavy and bulky...wouldn't want to have to use it above my head for more than a few brads. Haven't had any issues with it, but don't expect it to hold up under heavy usage.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

I own the Ryobi, bought it as a reconditioned unit and primarily use it for small or occasional jobs. If I'm doing a bigger project then I'll break out my air powered guns but lately I've been doing just small jobs. As Mark (above) mentioned, it's quite a bit heavier and for me the bulk is the bigger issue. If you're not going to be using it in tight spaces and not for production type work then you'll be very happy with one. So far I have zero complaints with mine.
I, too, bought a recon Ryobi. I've used it a few times shooting short and long brad nails and I'm pleased with its performance.

I'm pretty happy with the Ryobi One + system. Enough so that I recently purchased their spotlight (outstanding) and a pair of the 4ah batteries for use with a hedge trimmer and weed whacker.
Please pray for our troops! Semper Fi!

Bob Ross (I used to be called "Doc")
www.theborkstore.com

I bought the ryobi inflator when HD had it a few bucks off. Handiest thing for car & bike tires and whatnot. You wouldn't want to use it on something that's going to need lots of air, but it beats firing up the compressor & dragging the hose out just to top off a tire.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

For anyone interested, the latest (August) issue of Woodworkers Journal just arrived and there is an article on seven cordless brad nailers, including the two above. The other five are pricier, heavy duty brands. My WWJ didn't come until after my initial post. It's good to get your unbiased comments. Thanks.

I have had the Ryobi for a while but not used it much just because the need doesn't arise very often. A few days ago I got it out to tack clamp a couple pieces of wood that I was gluing together. Just before I used it, I managed to knock it off my workbench on to a concrete floor. Of course it landed on the nose, probably its most vulnerable point and broke the pad off. When I inquired about getting a replacement part I found that I had to buy the entire magazine (entire lower part of the machine) for about $70 plus shipping. The part I broke includes the safety feature to prevent firing a brad unless the nose of the brad in securely against the work piece. I found a way to defeat this feature and proceed to glue my wood but I am not sure how I will proceed. Ken
A friend has them and I have used them in his shop a little bit. Overall I'm impressed. They work well never misfired or failed to bury a brad. Fire rate is good and better than the new milwaukee ones.

I'll put it this way next trip I get to go to the direct tools store at the outlet mall and they have them on sale dirt cheap I'm going to get a set for myself. They are really handy for small on site projects and eliminate hauling a compressor and hoses.
so what how did WJ rate them?

Mark

I have a cordless Port cable. It does have a hose- is that cordless?

It's an OLD one. Just needs oil once in a while and it will brad all day long.