Another example of how people dont do their research before auctions
Over the last 7-8 years I notice more and more people completely overpay on stuff at auctions.

Here is a current example.

84" SS tool cabinet.

They put a $2495 MSRP in the ad and people buy it up.

Menards sold this 2 summers ago, for $999 regular price. I got mine for $499 minus 11% rebate on closeout. Its already at $850.....with 12 days to go.

https://www.k-bid.com/auction/14596/item/2

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I quit going to auctions a long time ago because of way over pricing. For those auction buys person it isn't about paying what the item is worth. These people have a gambling addiction. They have to win so they don't care what it cost them. Why do you think they say they "won" this item instead of saying they bought it at auction.
There is an auction syndrome--I came to buy '""*:# something!! GOT to bid. OTOH there are bargains! I one time got a Hobart commercial slicer for $18 current price ~$1400 new
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
yabuttt MSRP 2495.00 it's gotta be a steal at 2300.oobux

I see Sears a roeby TS's that you can buy by the gross on CL fot 150 bux go for 500 at auctions all the time. David Hannum nailed it, PT got it hung around his neck
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I got my uni & medium arm DeWalt GE from the state auction site, at decent prices. One has to know when to to stop, many don't. The guy running the show told me, "I can't believe what people will pay for junk".

That said, I absolutely stole my Delta radial ram drill press from an online auction.

Ed
I Think the others are right it is gambling. The only time I may run up on a auction is Charity fund raiser. We then set our donation limit for the item. Many times it goes over, but I have seen some great prizes given away for half what they are worth. The Charity does great and the people are happy. Dan
We have a straight-as-an-arrow local auctioneer who happens to also be our mayor. I've spent many a Saturday at his auctions and have gotten many a good deal. Don't think I've ever overbid.

I remember one when I was a newbie to woodworking. Some guys were going ape over a collection of squares and paying what seemed to me outlandish prices--maybe even $30!! Something about the name "Starrett" .….
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
I did pick up a miter trimmer with two new blades for $30 about a month ago. Just needed a bit of cleaning. Now please don't ask me why I 'needed' a miter trimmer. I did pass on three draw knives since I already have three and could not conceive of any project that needed six....Tom
You never "need" a miter trimmer, but boy, the one thing they do, they do quickly and without equal. I have to make a bunch of picture and mirror frames and that's what they excel at.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
YSU65 said:

I did pick up a miter trimmer with two new blades for $30 about a month ago. Just needed a bit of cleaning. Now please don't ask me why I 'needed' a miter trimmer. I did pass on three draw knives since I already have three and could not conceive of any project that needed six....Tom

Would never ask why someone would buy a tool. I buy lots of tools because it's a really good deal or its a cool tool or whatever. I can't remember the number of times I have bought an old or odd tool and years later I need it and am very happy I bought it.
Never pass up a good deal on a tool or material. You will regret it soon after if you do.