So I've got these drill bits
(05-14-2019, 01:18 PM)Redman Wrote: You need an umbrelly?

wait wait wait wait wait now I can post

Possibly........
Raised 

I'm going to look for a different grindstone.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

What you gonna be grinding. CS, HS, Carbide or something exotic?

Oh and you might want to look at grinding a split point and reducing the chisel length especially if you are drilling hardwoods.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Grinding whatever these things are made of
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-15-2019, 02:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Grinding whatever these things are made of

Grinding your own is the way to go.  Commercially available brad point bits, particularly cheap ones, are really lacking.
Some photos of my past rigs.

Wow Bob, I learned to do those on a Cincinnati tool and cutter grinder  back in the mid '70's while serving a machinist apprenticeship. Didn't know the skill would be useful after retiring.

So, for drilling larger and deeper holes there is the ejector drill option.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous
Lookin good Bob. I like your setups, a little fancier than mine for sure.
I noticed your thin, cutoff wheel type wheel there. That looks very handy for doing the brad points.
Awesome.
Wink
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-15-2019, 07:17 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Lookin good Bob. I like your setups, a little fancier than mine for sure.
I noticed your thin, cutoff wheel type wheel there. That looks very handy for doing the brad points.
Awesome.
Wink

I first saw the Norton A60-OBNA2 Toolroom Cut Off Wheel being used in the late 1970s.  Its sort of a saw blade for steel but particularly suited for detail grinding of shaper cutters.  Over the decades I've tried various cheap-out alternatives and none were as good.  None.  Most were a waste of money for my purposes.  That wheel is great for cutting off bolts and all sorts of other things.  I first used them for shaper cutters but after getting some so-called brad point bits, I could clearly see where a little hand work could make them far more useful in wood.   Many brad point bits I have, I've been using for over three decades.  If they seem dull, I just freshen up the tip and get on with it  These days it takes me about ten minutes to make a  1/2" metal cutting bit into a brad point.  Less for smaller bits.
Try it.
You guys realize this thread is 3 years old, right?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-16-2019, 12:00 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: I first saw the Norton A60-OBNA2 Toolroom Cut Off Wheel being used in the late 1970s.  Its sort of a saw blade for steel but particularly suited for detail grinding of shaper cutters.  Over the decades I've tried various cheap-out alternatives and none were as good.  None.  Most were a waste of money for my purposes.  That wheel is great for cutting off bolts and all sorts of other things.  I first used them for shaper cutters but after getting some so-called brad point bits, I could clearly see where a little hand work could make them far more useful in wood.   Many brad point bits I have, I've been using for over three decades.  If they seem dull, I just freshen up the tip and get on with it  These days it takes me about ten minutes to make a  1/2" metal cutting bit into a brad point.  Less for smaller bits.
Try it.

Thanks Bob. I have some cutoff wheels, and time permits, going to mount one up.

(05-16-2019, 06:42 AM)AHill Wrote: You guys realize this thread is 3 years old, right?

Wink
Wink
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(05-16-2019, 06:42 AM)AHill Wrote: You guys realize this thread is 3 years old, right?

Makes no difference. Do you realize there may be something to learn here?