How to Attach Face Frames to Fireplace Builtins
I'm making 3 large built ins for a fireplace. The customer wants the face frames to be tight against the sides of the wall and have minimal gaps. They have to be square of course on the cabinet but she doesn't want any other moulding on the face frames.
My thought was to slide the cabinets in the spaces, place face frames on with a couple of brads then remove the cabinets and drill pocket hole screws from the non visible outside to permanently attach the face frames. I wanted to leave the cabinets in and drill the pocket holes from the inside but she doesn't like the plugs from the screw holes showing.
Is there another method of doing this? These cabinets fit tight in the spaces and if I attach the face frames with brads and the frames move a bit as I'm sliding the box out, I'm screwed once I try to slide them back in.
I thought about biscuits and a plate joiner but there isn't a way to clamp the face frames since the cabinets are inside the wall spaces.
Does this make sense?

Eddie
Lot of questions first. Are builtins designed as one unit to fill space or individual units in one space? Painted or stained? Are you scribing to fit or just getting as close as you can? Exposed shelves or doors? Lots of possibilities depending on how you plan and construct the units.
Why can't you attach the face frame first like normal and then slide the cabinet in?

Twinn
Will post for food.
Anything special about the walls? Have them refloated after you install a possibility?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

theeviltwinn said:

Why can't you attach the face frame first like normal and then slide the cabinet in?

Twinn

If I attach the Ff to the cabinet first, there might be a gap that she wants covered up by the Ff. Then I'll have to recut the Ff to make it the right length.
Put the cabinets in nice and square then build the face frames in place.
Rusty
Poppa's Woodworks
R. Young in S.W. La said:

Lot of questions first. Are builtins designed as one unit to fill space or individual units in one space? Painted or stained? Are you scribing to fit or just getting as close as you can? Exposed shelves or doors? Lots of possibilities
depending on how you plan and construct the units.

I built individual units and once I get them in the space, I'll screw them together. She is going to stain them. No scribe. Getting close as I can.
Trusty Rusty said:

Rusty

That's my plan Rusty but I didn't know if there was another plan of attack. I'm cutting the ff pieces over length so I can cut them at her house.
EddieO said:

[blockquote]Trusty Rusty said:

Rusty

That's my plan Rusty but I didn't know if there was another plan of attack. I'm cutting the ff pieces over length so I can cut them at her house.

[/blockquote]

This is also what I would do. Obviously, anything that touches the wall should be oversized on width and scribbed to the wall. Cabinets should not be designed to go all the way to the wall, or you can't scribe.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Face frames will hold with glue (Titebond II) and blue painters tape pulled tight provided the faces are plumb and true.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.