How useful is a mortise machine?
I am being tempted

It's a 1996 model, 1/2 hp. He's asking $150.

Do I need it?

Who uses one, and how much and for what?

tool temptation, it's part of the hobby
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Jump on it! You have to make things that need M & T joints. Chairs, tables and benches.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
That x y vise will make it easy to use.......
I too would recommend buying it if you get the chisels with it, and a demonstration showing the thing works well.

They are very handy for building certain kinds of projects. I built several work benches (PICS) for myself and my Son a few years ago.

I, along with a large number of others on the forum here at the time, modified several brands of bench machines in a similar fashion, several years ago.

I used a HF machine (PICS) to modify, and the X-Y vise made a world of difference.
Mike

Wild Turkey said:

... Do I need it? ...

Only one person can answer that

As with most tools, there is always a way to get by without one. Its just a matter of the convenience of having it when you can put it use. If you have never had a use for one and don't plan on ever making square holes, pass.
I read an article on mortisers,which was you have to be setup to sharpen your own chisels or be prepared to send them out then owners will use them more
MikeinKCMO said:

I too would recommend buying it if you get the chisels with it, and a demonstration showing the thing works well.

They are very handy for building certain kinds of projects. I built several work benches (PICS) for myself and my Son a few years ago.

I, along with a large number of others on the forum here at the time, modified several brands of bench machines in a similar fashion, several years ago.

I used a HF machine (PICS) to modify, and the X-Y vise made a world of difference.

Ahhh, a man after my own heart!

I have the same set up. The best tool in existence? No, but it is cheap and works pretty good. Then I use 'my fine woodworking skills' to make them look like the mortises shown on the covers of FWW'ing.

Plus I have large shoulders on my tenons to hide any deviations from the original design.
You making 1 dozen mortises? Chop or rout 'em.

You making 96 (two beds)? Get it. I paid 169 for my JET when new, so it seems high.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I've had mine for decade or so now. I've used it twice. I sharpened the chisels with a diamond cone from LV. It seemed to work well enough, there was certainly a noticeable difference afterward anyway.

I usually did loose tenon joinery with a router jig until I got my domino so this thing sits a lot. I e thought about selling it, but then of course I'll have an immediate need for it.

I say if you have the cash and the space then get it. You'll use it eventually and it's better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it.
-Marc

Worth it when doing repetitive production of a series of pieces, or a large project with many mortises. One off pieces with single digit numbers are easier to chop by hand, or rout out if you can stand the noise. I bought one when I was making a bunch of built-ins two houses ago, 40-50 or so mortises, paid for itself in time saved on repetitive work. $150 or less is what he likely paid for it 20 years ago, take a good look at the chisels and bits for wear and loss of temper of the bits, they get plenty hot enough to blue. New chisels and bits can be expensive...... a set of good ones cost as much as you are paying for the machine itself. Just sayin'............
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis