What would you do or choice would you make
I've heard good things about Thompson tools but I haven't used any. I have been buying Crown PM tools lately. I like the handle sizes and work well.
Don
I like these tools. http://www.thewoodturningstore.com/categ...-4_10.html

They are decent steel and half the price of a Thompson. This way if a student buggers the edge you aren't grinding away precious metal fixing it.

Twinn
Will post for food.
My tools of choice are Doug Thompson's tools or Dave Schweitzer's tools. I can detect no difference in edge wear. Only real difference to me is flute shape, and I prefer the Thompson, but still use both. I don't have any Carter tools, which are pretty much clones of the D Way tools, and since Dave did them first, I support him. I haven't made up my mind on flute shapes, mostly pertaining to parabolic, U, V, or half round flute shapes, and even the ) shapes like MM uses. All have their uses, and advantages are more due to your turning style than the tools. Well sharpening is a big part too. I prefer more open flute designs because I hold my tools more level. Dropped handle seems to favor more swept back wing designs. When using a V flute, I like the more open ones like Doug makes. I have an old Glaser V gouge and the V is just too tight for my style of turning and clogs up too much.

robo hippy
Hairy

I need to buy a camcorder and I still do not have even a camera yet and borrow my daughters still. I guess I buy what we absolutely need first and buy for me last. However, I hope and pray in the future that a business will help us out. To me the biggest thing is not free tools or discounted tools but if they will help advertise us and what we are doing and wanting to do. Or goal is to have at least one Arts & Crafts in every state close to VA or large concentration of Military, Firefighters, Law Enforcement, and EMT to include civilians who have PTSD also and have a snack bar with tables and cards and games where then can play and talk. I know for me I really miss the camaraderie of people and right now I only have one or two people now who come and just talk.

MM

Right now I still have a few high carbon tools that are almost wore out and my skew is gone. I do have the wolverine system and now a 180 grit CBN wheel that Reed also gave me and have the whole thing set at one place and used different blocks in the V to make different degree grinding which works great and takes very, very little metal off and I use a diamond hone between sharpening's to. But most of the grinding was before the CBN wheel and the wolverine system.

When I sold the wooden Roses and Vases for mothers day I bought things we needed most on the priority list including clamps which I glue up a lot of boards of contrasting colors to make bowls, boxes and vases since I have lumber but little turning stock on hand until my wife and BIL cut trees down for fire wood.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Been my observation that users of rigs and jigs use more pressure to hold the tool in the jig, resulting in more against the abrasive. Results in more metal removal. I use the Underhill method, where the tool is its own jig. Heel to the stone, lift to touch the edge, and rotate. Works as well for me as it did for turners hundreds of years ago.

Can't use the full Frank Pain method on M2, because it doesn't make enough sparks!
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Thanks for the info MM. When Lyle Jamieson came to my house several times he is the one who set everything up since I had everything wrong and also taught me a very light touch it all it takes to resharpen the tool and it just kisses the CBN wheel.

Arlin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

bump for some of the info

I know I really like D Way tools.  I haven't had a chance to handle the others.
Rodney
(07-03-2016, 06:56 AM)MichaelMouse Wrote: If you're not freehanding when renewing the edge, you're probably taking more metal off than you need to.  It's a skill worth its weight in vanadium.  I know the different alloys are supposed to last longer than X, but my dislike of using a less-than optimum edge means I freshen often.  If I had a fancy grinding setup and a jig, I'd spend more time and metal.

My experience is quite the opposite.  I used to have a really hard time getting a consistent grind on my turning tools freehanding.  When I went to a jig, I found I spend far less time to get my edge, and I remove a lot less steel getting there.  I'm not turning every day, so I don't have the muscle memory to just walk up to my grinder and put on a good, fresh edge.  That's my experience, anyway.  It takes me maybe 30 sec max to put my tool in the jig, and less than 15 sec to freshen the edge.  With my Thompson tools, I usually can do an entire bowl without requiring a fresh edge.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Arlin
I have some sorby, Ez wood, Packard lower tier, some no names and two Thompson I bought last fall.
I like the Thompson a lot. Biggest thing is hen I look at a drawer full of handled tools and then the one handle and 2 thompsons I begin to think...man they sure are easier to store.
Didn't think I'd like the set screw handle but so far the tool hasn't vibrated loose.
If I knew then what I know now... I'd have gone with Thompson from the get go