How do I make this cut/route?
How would you go about making this inset? It's about 1/8 - 1/4" deep. The sides are beveled at a 45 degree angle inward. The entire cut is about 2" wide and 16" long.

I have 6 posts to do this to.
My two ideas so far are to:
1. Route it out. Ungh. sounds like that would take forever
2. Cut off a piece, then skillsaw or bandsaw the interior, then glue it back on. Might look tacky though. Also afraid where the ends meet it might not be completely flush.

I would make a template and route out the center with a straight bit then use a v grove bit to chamfer the edges using the template and a bushing on your router. You will need to scrape or sand the bottom smooth and cut the corners in with a chisel by hand.

The other option would be to create an 1/8-1/4" veneer to create the raised and chamfered area.
If you plan to glue on a thin piece only for the ends, you could do the rest fairly quickly on a tablesaw with a dado set.
On the drawing it appears that entire corner is raised? Applied trim?
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You could make it like a paneled door. Make the outside like stiles & rails. Put the inside in grooves like a flat panel.

Mitre the sides and glue to make the "post".

Joel
USN (Corpsman) 1968-1972
USAF Retired Aug 31, 1994
Santa Rosa County, Fl Retired Jun 1, 2012
Now just a hobbiest enjoying woodworking!
Joel H. said:

You could make it like a paneled door. Make the outside like stiles & rails. Put the inside in grooves like a flat panel.

Mitre the sides and glue to make the "post".

Joel

10-4
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Steve N said:

On the drawing it appears that entire corner is raised? Applied trim?

pretty much has to be as drawn. No one in their right mind would try and work that out with the tools suggested
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I expect it's built up and the drawing doesn't show the joinery where ends meet.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I assume this is a copy of something old. It would have been made with molding, and the molding would have been face nailed on.
I think I'm going to try the route out method suggested by Dave. I did a test piece (used the v groove bit first then routed out the rest. It came out great except for the roughness of it. Sanding should take care of it, I hope.

So in hindsight, I had already made the post out of a 4x4. Would you have not done it that way? It seemed "building" the post up would have been more difficult, but maybe not?