Picked up a drum sander
I found a Ryobi WDS1600 on Craigslist. Paid $50. From what I can tell, everything is in great condition. I just need to figure out how to get the paper on the drum. The vertical adjustment is smooth, the drum turns smooth and the feed belt tracks well. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Check that the drum is parallel to the bed across the entire length of the drum.
I've got the same sander. Good piece of gear for smoothing thin pieces (e.g. shaker boxes, glue-lam layers). Getting the paper on is a bit of a trick- the clips are awkward. PM me if you need any info (not sure how much troubleshooting guidance I can give; other than the paper, no real issues).
Good judgement is the product of experience.
Experience is the product of poor judgement.
Thanks. I don't think that I have the stabilization bracket that is shown in the manual. Is this something you find you need? If so, I can fab up one.

I need to look at the drum to make sure the clips or whatever holds the paper is there.
I was using the sander today and the feed belt broke. It appears to be a very wide sanding belt. I'm having some trouble locating a replacement. Is there a good place to buy these?
One seller on eBay has WDS1600 feed belts listed. I'm not sure if they are the same as for the Jet/Performax units.

stav said:

I was using the sander today and the feed belt broke. It appears to be a very wide sanding belt. I'm having some trouble locating a replacement. Is there a good place to buy these?

wood workers supply

google

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

I have that one too. I modded the top so I can hook it up to my 4" DC hose. Very happy. The paper is a pain... One of the clips tends to pull the paper tight, that's the side you want to end on when installing a strip.
Benny

bennybmn said:

I have that one too. I modded the top so I can hook it up to my 4" DC hose. Very happy. The paper is a pain... One of the clips tends to pull the paper tight, that's the side you want to end on when installing a strip.

+1 to all this. Much better dust collection after I went to the 4".
I had a little trouble with the paper at first. After I found that the clip on the motor side moves forward, paper changes have been easy. Dust collection with the 2" port has been pretty good as well. I am using it outside so I might not notice the dust that gets by as much as some that are using it inside.

This sander works great. Although, I have to say that I am not sure that I am a drum sander kind of person. I think I like the chips of the planer better than the dust from a sander. I may see if I can swap out for a planer with a bit more capacity than my old Ryobi AP10 (also a very good machine).